Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline 75-90 NS actually made my shift action worse... trying to figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Redline 75-90 NS actually made my shift action worse... trying to figure this out

At first I thought it was slightly better... but its almost as the car temp goes up the more notchy the 1-2 shift feels. I wish i had left the car alone cause i have no idea what was in it to start with. Maybe I will try the mobil delvac as some here on the board have had luck with it. I am also wondering if my stock engine mounts need replacing because if I baby the car then I can get it to shift smooth. Its really only under load where I am shifting 1-2 at high rpms where I get the notchy feeling. Almost like its hitting something before it slides into 2nd... and makes shifting quickly really difficult. Would this be a symptom of the engine mounts? The exhaust tips do hang lower than others i have seen which might suggest they are sagging.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a similar issue with mine - kind of a notchy/clunky feel to the point I thought I might have a synchro issue. I put Swepco (I believe the 201) gear oil in and it completely went away.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Call RedLine directly. I'm not sure what the number is (you can find it on their website) but I once had a question about tranny oil in a TR8 and they couldn't have been more helpful. That was a few years ago but I suspect they are still pretty user friendly. A lot of their products are racing oriented and the best match to street use isn't always obvious. Regardless you're probably looking at a drain and refill with something else.

By the way I have no affiliation.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

I am just assuming it takes a few tries to get one that works with your car the best. Searching this topic has people gravitating toward their favorites. Mobil 1, Mobil Delvac, Redline, Swepco, seem to be top of the lists.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hoping this isn't a hi-jack, since it's closely related...

This whole tranny oil thing is driving me crazy!
I read all the posts recommending RedLine NS on this board -- which also included posts saying "No Swepco"... so I replaced my fluid last week with RedLine NS ... I happened to mention it to the owner of a very well respected local shop, who said "I never put RedLine in these because it leaves a yellow powder on the syncros" and makes a real mess. His recommendation: "Use only Swepco" ....
I reread the posts and Steve Weiner specifically addressed the "yellow powder" issue saying it was the old RedLine MTL/90 that causes that problem.

I figured, no sweat everyone on RennList swears by RedLine...now I'm hearing it's not working out for some.

So, has anyone had problems with Redline NS and the whole "yellow powder" issue? I know you'd have to have taken the trans. apart in order to know, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced that, now that RedLine is not sounding like the ultimate solution it did before.
By the way, my car shifts beautifully witht the RedLine, but it shifted well with whatever was in there before (a blueish looking dino-smelling oil).
Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Mobil 1 delvac...., and its super smooth. I think its whats recommended and plenty of people use it here too.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:44 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PNogC2S

So, has anyone had problems with Redline NS and the whole "yellow powder" issue? I know you'd have to have taken the trans. apart in order to know, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced that, now that RedLine is not sounding like the ultimate solution it did before.
By the way, my car shifts beautifully witht the RedLine, but it shifted well with whatever was in there before (a blueish looking dino-smelling oil).
I've seen the residue from red line "shock proof" oils only in my race car trans. This is pretty funky special light weight opaque powder Green low drag oil that protects like a heavier weight oil. I doubt anyone uses this stuff in a street car. Having said that, it just wipes off with a rag when you're changing ratios for the next event.

The 75/90 NS is transparent oil so I don't think it has the same cushion properties as the shockproof stuff. So, In my opinion, it won't leave yellow powder behind. i've got it in my car. It didn't make a big difference from the stuff that had 20K miles I replaced (factory fill based on the untouched look of the drain plug)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanQ
I've seen the residue from red line "shock proof" oils only in my race car trans. This is pretty funky special light weight opaque powder Green low drag oil that protects like a heavier weight oil. I doubt anyone uses this stuff in a street car. Having said that, it just wipes off with a rag when you're changing ratios for the next event.
That's consistent with what he said -- he'd seen it on racing transmissions -- but he knew only that RedLine had been used, not specifically which kind...maybe it was the Shock-proof, so this shouldn't be an issue with the 75W90NS, then?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM
tonypai
Racer

I've had this conversation with my transmission guy, he just shrugs and puts in whatever oil I bring him. Transmission oil is car specific. Each transmission is different based on mileage/wear/tear, so what works for one car might not be the best choice for another.

But then again he runs motor oil in his transmission.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it will also depend on the driver and how fast one shifts. Guys that shift fast use the syncros more. I shift slow and I think time the shift so the syncros are not working too hard. It is a habit from the days when my old cars had syncros that were toast and having a CDL for a while.

I love the way mine feels and am about to put in the Red Line NS. We'll see....

The BMW improved a lot with Red Line. I hope I have the same luck!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to the Redline ns when I got the car about 6 months ago. My experience is about the same as the OP. Seemed better at first but now I'm thinking it's slightly notchier. I run Redline in my Guzzi and have been pleased with it. Have been thinking about about trying the regular Redline 75/90 for the pcar, anyone tried it?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the Royal Purple per dealer recom. It went NOTCHY! Took it to local Porshce mechanic and he said use Redline, NS. Still Notchy. When I bought the car it was fine, so something with these two oils makes the car feel like it needs synchros, maybe like yours certz. I have just lived with it all summer but would sure like to find a (cheap) return to smoothness.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Mobil Delvac in mine without any problems.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I've tried about every transmission oil out there, and wound up liking conventional Valvoline gear oil best. It may be that some of the oils with more trick additives are just too slick, and defeat the synchros.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, my mech told me that about the royal purple and said the redline would fix...im thinking of trying something conventional or swepco..im watching and listening what is said here.................

Quick Reply: Redline 75-90 NS actually made my shift action worse... trying to figure this out