Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Argh...Windshield Repair Gone Terribly Wrong (Resin on Paint)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Argh...Windshield Repair Gone Terribly Wrong (Resin on Paint)

Took the 993 to the local detailing center today for a wash and to have a few windshield chips received on the highway this past week filled in.

The windshield repair went perfectly, but after getting the car home I noticed that the repair tech had dripped resin on my paint in three spots! What is the stuff these guys use? Has it already done permanent damage?

Obviously, I'm going to have the windshield repair company try to fix it, but from the looks of the spots, I don't see how they are going to get it off without damaging the paint further.

What really ticks me off is that the paint is all factory original and in excellent to perfect condition, especially in the area where the resin spots are now located.

What a bummer. Any thoughts from the community?

sean
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I would start with the least aggressive approach to begin with. The 3M Adhesive Remover is amazing stuff and will not harm your paint - I'd give it a try. Can you post some pics of the resin spots? If you have a good coat of wax on the car, they might come off with painters tape. Try covering the spots with painters tape and peel off to see if they can be pulled off the finish.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe a claybar could help?

http://meguiarsclaybar.com/

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 08-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your only option will be to sand it off, but try other methods first. BE VERY CAREFUL! Use 600+ grit paper at first to get the largest part of the lumps off (DON'T hit the paint with this, just the resin). Once it gets a little hairy and close to the paint, use 1200-1500 grit and wetsand the rest of the resin down. Try to sand as little of the paint as possible, or else you will sand straight through the clearcoat. Do a light sanding of the area to make sure it is all gone with 2000 grit, then you can buff it out with an orbital or regular buffer.

You might be better off taking it to a detailing professional and bringing the bill to the windshield place. I would recommend strongly against trying to pick it off--you are almost guaranteed to pick off some paint as well.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

A pro detailer will get it off, but he needs to be a pro. Since the windshield people will end up paying for this, look out for the best in your area. And the windshield people had better agree, seeing the aternative.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be worth trying a hot gun just to soften the resin a little making it easier to slip off the paint finish with less adhesion. Some masking tape around the marks will protect the nearby bodywork from overheating.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Priceless
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That SUCKs, so sorry to hear. Hope all turns out well...good luck.

Quick Reply: Argh...Windshield Repair Gone Terribly Wrong (Resin on Paint)