Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dinner for Schmucks - Porsches for Jerks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dinner for Schmucks - Porsches for Jerks?

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/pos...For-Jerks.aspx
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 AM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds like any other guy I know that wishes he could have one...

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, he's painting us all with pretty wide brush strokes. Although the stereotype certainly exists, I doubt many of those type are on RL.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

The writers want those movies to appeal to a broad audience and the common misconception is that Porsches are expensive. If that guy was driving a brand new Honda Accord (same MSRP as a used Cayman) then it wouldn't be as entertaining.

Now as far as stereotypes are concerned there is absolutely a healthy dose of truth to that. But what I've noticed is that most of the guys fitting the stereotype have the latest models.

And yes some are on Rennlist. But most are over at 6speed
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think what this is article is really getting at is how Porsche uses it's brand in the movies. Maybe Porsche does not care about whether Porsche drivers are jerks or not, just as long as they are perceived as successful in the movie. Or do they like the "edgy-ness" of these characters. A couple of movies may or may not be a true representation of how Porsche manages it's brand image in the movies, but it is interesting.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Most rich people have an over-developed sense of entitlement and worth, and Porsches are expensive. You do the math.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
nskd3
Instructor

Default Porsche's New Image?

I assume Porsche's 80's image of "submarine" didn't work out too well. (Risky Business)
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It's all true. Case in point... I am a total douchebag, that's why I thought it appropriate to buy a Porsche.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:03 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

I don't have sound on this machine to listen to the clip but ..

"What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? .. the ****** are on the INSIDE!"
Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Is this to then assume that Porsche has the ability to read movie scripts before loaning/selling a car to a film production? Do they pay for a product placement into a movie, plus supply the cars? Is it that a production narrows down the available car options for each character (say Porsche, BMW, Audi) then approaches each brand and has them bid to take over the placement spot? Does it become a bidding war between the shortlisted choices?

or is it that when a manufacturer is called about a product request they just overwhelmingly support the need, regardless of the personality of the character, because any screen time is better than none?

I have no idea, and would love to hear from a rennlister who works directly in the industry.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I am a total douchebag, that's why I thought it appropriate to buy a Porsche.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:14 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We all need to embrace and own the perception.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperzz
Is this to then assume that Porsche has the ability to read movie scripts before loaning/selling a car to a film production? Do they pay for a product placement into a movie, plus supply the cars? Is it that a production narrows down the available car options for each character (say Porsche, BMW, Audi) then approaches each brand and has them bid to take over the placement spot? Does it become a bidding war between the shortlisted choices?

or is it that when a manufacturer is called about a product request they just overwhelmingly support the need, regardless of the personality of the character, because any screen time is better than none?

I have no idea, and would love to hear from a rennlister who works directly in the industry.
I am not sure what Porsche's policy is, but my sister works for Disney, and they are very careful as to how their characters are used. Yes, they would read a script etc... before making a decision. And you are right, there probably is a bidding war that occurs between brands, but they likely bid for spots that are in line with their marketing philosophy.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just Porsches but anything expensive. Because there is, and always will be, a large contingent of wealthy people who need to express their wealth through visible consumption. A Porsche fits that bill plus it's a car that has an "exclusive club" of sorts (only those "in the know" can really understand the marque, yada yada.)

Porsche (and MB, BMW, etc..) are recognizable products that can easily be stereotyped. And everybody plays on this (even automotive media like Top Gear) It's just the way it is. And it also happens on the opposite end of the ladder.

And Porsche is the one with the last laugh anyway: "A new study has found that German sports car maker Porsche earns an incredible average of $28,000 in profit on every vehicle it sells. The figure — printed in Germany’s Welt am Sonntag newspaper, citing a study by B&D Forecast — dwarfs the per-car earnings of virtually any other automaker."

Remember these series of ads

Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

Stereotypes are so common because people are too lazy to think past them.

Quick Reply: Dinner for Schmucks - Porsches for Jerks?