Sponsored by:

VRam sub par? ... flaccid vacuum connector issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default VRam sub par? ... flaccid vacuum connector issue

Several years ago, we had a rash of VRam issues due to a failing 'Tee" connector in that systems vacuum plumbing: I haven't heard boo about this issue in 4 years, so am guessing that some owners are unaware of their suffering with an easily correctable issue that can really improve top end performance.

The cure is described in this post .... which was a continuation of the work by Martin S.

In a nutshell, the T-piece is unduly strained, and collapses internally: when ones foot is well into the throttle, engine vacuum dies, so the vac actuators rely on access to the vac reservoir ..... with the rubber piece internally delaminated, it collapses and the VRam actuators are ineffective.

The cure is to replace the piece, reinforce the internals with a stent, and 'destress' the vacuum connections - all described in the link.

Just thought a brief resurrection may catch a newer owner .... or two
Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Garth. I remember reading this awhile back. Great reminder now that I have vram.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, when I read about this aeons ago I checked the T-connector and, yup, it was 'collapsed'.
I took it out and put a 'stent' in it - consisting of a short but 'strong' spring that i) didn't interfere with the holes of the (internal) vacuum lines and ii) would 'push against' the tendency of the rubber to collapse under 'big suction'. That was, ummm, jeebus, about 4+ years ago -- and it has held up ever since -- and, umm, yes I've verified the existence of that 'little kick' around 5K RPMS many a time since then.

Gerry

Quick Reply: VRam sub par? ... flaccid vacuum connector issue