Sponsored by:

Creaking windshield .... alternate cure

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Creaking windshield .... alternate cure

Just reading another thread on the endemic " creaking" noises emminating from the windshield .... and the traditional cures of using Pedro 'ice wax' and/or a Porsche 'rope' that is stuffed in the crevice: in participating passively, I felt as if present in an 'AA' meeting, so rather than disrupt the harmony, offer an alternate view in a new post.

After trying the standard approaches without enduring success, it (slowly) dawned on me that the problem may be the 10+ year old hardened & crusty gasket - and not the nature of the windshield mounting.

Last year, I tossed the old gasket, cleaned the channel and sprayed exposed areas with Fluid Film. Follow that by stretching a fresh OE gasket to snap into the channel - enduring silence for the past year.

Cost - ~$30 .... peace & quiet - priceless!!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds good. I will bookmark this post for later. I performed rope procedure with success but it has only been 2-3 months. It's good to know there is a (what seems to be) more permanent fix.

enjoy the silence!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Garth,

Is this as simple as it sounds? Just pull out the old gasket and replace it with the new one?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:07 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I've found that simply waxing the painted surfaces under the outer seal helps a lot! Plus its good maintenance to so do!

Quick Reply: Creaking windshield .... alternate cure