Sponsored by:

I beat my 993 up today

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I beat my 993 up today

As the title of this thread states, I beat my 993 up today (don't worry I didn't crash it or anything like that). It was my 9th track day of the season and my front brakes and all 4 tires are thrashed. The front rotors and pads will need to be replaced ASAP (I have an appointment to do this next Friday) and I really doubt my tires will hold up for the remaining 4 (maybe 5) track days I still have scheduled this summer. I did a lot of laps today (actually I reckon I have done over 1000+ laps this season) and the tires took a turn for the worse today. Time will tell how many more sessions I can get in with these tires, but I am thinking I better not wait too long. I better be safe and ordering replacements.

I have had a fantastic time at the track this season and have seen huge improvements from last season. But dang, my car needs some TLC. However it's days as a Garage Queen are (at least temporarily) over. All this track time and car maintenance is burning a hole in my wallet. Who needs crack when you own a Porsche and have access to a race track.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

993's are athletes and need to be exercised on a regular basis. Tires, pads, and rotors (and fuel) are all consumables that are easily (if not inexpensively) replaced. Think of her as a garage quarter-horse, well cared for, but also set free to run the track.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stewardship of a great automotive icon.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
993's are athletes and need to be exercised on a regular basis. Tires, pads, and rotors (and fuel) are all consumables that are easily (if not inexpensively) replaced
1000+ laps will quite likely make the engine, gearbox etc, also consumable items. That's severe punishment.

But hey, sounds like fun.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Beat the 993, pay back is a bitch...

Generally most DOT "R" rated tires such as a Nitto NT-01, or Toyo RA-1 will be shot by 20 heat cycles. That would be 20 run sessions. I have no idea how long stock street tires will last, if you are using them. I have had the best longevity with Toyo RA-1 and Nitto NT-01. Hoosiers are mind boggling the first session you use them. They are good for about 9 - 10 heat cycles before they go away, in my experience.

Assuming the tracks where you have run 1,000 laps average 2.5 miles long, that would be 2,500 track miles. If each session is 10 laps...we have 2,500 miles divided by 25 miles, or 100 sessions, or 100 heat cycles. That sorts out to equal 4 (Best case) to 5 (Likely case) sets of tires.

Here is my experience:
1. You'll go through 2 sets of front rotors to 1 set of rears. Pagid Orange front
and Pagid Black back is a great combination
2. Expect 3 to 3 1/2 weekends = a set of tires
3. Clutch, I have a 993 RS clutch...it has over 40,000 track miles on it.
I installed the clutch in 2001 and it is still going strong
4. Sooner or later, you'll need new synchros for the tranny. Consider replacing
the factory brass synchro rings with steel..I have them on 3rd - 5th Upgraded
shifting forks are nice to have while you are in there.

Keep on beating the car...they are little masochist, they love (gentle) "abuse".
Old 07-31-2010, 01:47 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

I am running Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 tires ... they are not R rated tires, but still very high performance tires. They are toast. Yesterday I noticed more wear in one day of driving than any other of my previous track days. I will be lucky to get 1 maybe 2 more track days out of them. More importantly my front brakes went south big time on me yesterday. Fortunately not on the track, but I noticed them on the way home crying out to me how wounded they were after a hard day at the track. Fortunately I already knew they were on their last legs as the replacement parts have already been ordered.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:14 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Steve. I didn't know you could even get that many tracks in down there. I'll be lucky to do 2 DEs. I really think these cars like being run hard. I suppose that as your skills and speed improve the wear and tear on the brakes and tires increases.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:29 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by matt777
Hey Steve. I didn't know you could even get that many tracks in down there. I'll be lucky to do 2 DEs.
4 PCA DE Track Days (2 of them have been full days)
1 PCA Specialized Instruction Day (full day event)
3 Allen Berg Racing School Open Lapping sessions
1 Jay Pringle Open Lapping session (full day event)

and the Allen Berg sessions I have done to date have had low turn outs so we are getting double the track time making them just like full day events.

with ...

2 more PCA DE Track Days still scheduled
2 more Allen Berg Open Lapping Sessions still scheduled
1 possible PCA DE Track Day if enough people sign up

I think it is safe to say I am addicted to these track days, but a large hole in my wallet is developing.

Originally Posted by matt777
I really think these cars like being run hard. I suppose that as your skills and speed improve the wear and tear on the brakes and tires increases.
I'm not slow.

but yeah the harder you run, the more you wear your car's consumables as others have called them here. I believe Steven (aka Trophy here at Rennlist) has got his rear tires replaced by now and my tires aren't as bad as his old ones were. But give me a few more days at the track and mine will start looking like his.

There was another fellow at the track yesterday who drives a 997 Carrera S and the shoulder of his right front tire was trashed. He has no choice, he will be shopping for a new tire before his next track day. His tire is now dangerous to drive on thanks to a hard day at the track (we know each other from PCA and Allen Berg events and we had a great time pushing each other yesterday).
Old 08-07-2010, 01:14 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

There is a huge hole in my wallet today. But I am sporting new shoes (tires) and a new set of front brakes on my 993 just in time for 2 (maybe 3) track days next week. Hmmm ... I wonder how long these new tires will hold up. I could have gotten at least one more track day with the old tires, but I didn't want to miss a track day on the count of having questionable tires and of course nobody wants to risk a blow out on the track.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
There is a huge hole in my wallet today. But I am sporting new shoes (tires) and a new set of front brakes on my 993....
Cry me a river.... the rears on my GT3 are $660 US each
Old 08-07-2010, 04:28 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

You should be careful telling someone to "cry me a river".

It appears that you own a 997.2 GT3 + a 993. I am going to go out on a limb and assume that you started off with a bigger wallet (not that this matters, I still consider myself fortunate enough owning a 993 though I would love to have the power of a GT3 at my beckon call when I am on the track). If someone like me can afford to buy a 993, they better be able to afford to maintain it. Just like if someone can afford to own a GT3, they too better be able to afford the repairs for the more advanced car.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Trust me - the repairs still hurt! What I'm trying to say is that it is all relative. Get an older 911 weighing in at around 2200 lbs with 15 in rims and track tires are ~ $100 ea. Now, any Bugatti owners out there with a bit of advice?
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by My993C2
There is a huge hole in my wallet today. But I am sporting new shoes (tires) and a new set of front brakes on my 993 just in time for 2 (maybe 3) track days next week. Hmmm ... I wonder how long these new tires will hold up. I could have gotten at least one more track day with the old tires, but I didn't want to miss a track day on the count of having questionable tires and of course nobody wants to risk a blow out on the track.

What pads are you using?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
What pads are you using?
I have the "Big Reds" turbo brakes installed on my '97 993C2. One of the previous owners made this car into a clone of the "S" version of the 993C2. My car has everything the "S" has ... except of course the wide body.

The pads that were just replaced were installed by the car's 2nd owner back in 2003 (I am the 3rd owner starting in March 2009) and the 2nd owner hardly drove the car. It was your classic garage queen. Since then I did 4 track days in the summer of 2009 and 9 more track days this summer in 2010. So I am not surprised that I wore out the front brakes. What is on there now? They are stock, whatever Porsche sells with the "Big Reds". I have the part numbers from Porsche if need be.

Please I did not want this thread to be a "pity poor ole me, I just spent a ton of money to repair my car" thread. It really was more of a "I beat my car up on the track ... and now it's been repaired ready for more DE track day beatings" and yes it is all relative. I had to pay more for my "Big Red" pads and calipers than a 993 owner with regular 993 brakes would pay, just as someone with a 997.2 GT3 would pay more (especially if they are ceramic) for their repairs. I would however love to trade any GT3 car owner out there, their car for mine in a straight up trade if it means lower maintenance costs for them. Haha ... But we know that's probably not going to happen. LOL

This coming week I have:

- DE Track Day on Monday night
- Open Lapping on Wednesday night
- DE Track Day on Thursday afternoon

I hope I am not coming back here next Friday saying I need new rear brakes. But you never know.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

No pity involved - not from me anyway - my engine is about to be dropped so I'm jealous.

If your pad warning light (assuming wires are hooked up) is not lit and you are hearing the brakes "protest" (squeal?) then you've just taken them beyond their rated temp and probably just glazed them a bit.

Try picking up a set of dedicated track pads and swapping them back and forth - you'll get loads more life out of them. Most of the Pagid's are very rotor-friendly, too.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

You should have someone show you how to replace pads and rotors. It is not difficult at all and will save you quite a bit (also, will not be cought at the track without any pad left).

Quick Reply: I beat my 993 up today