Potential problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
PS - the best of both worlds are available with a 95 with a little work
I was thinking about this the other day. Reading Streather, the Varioram doesn't shorten the intake runners until around 5160 rpm. It seems that for a street car, running the longer intake runners would give you the benefits of the midrange torque at the cost of hp above 5160 rpm, which may not be missed on a street car.

Maybe an inexpensive upgrade. Can the early intake be modified for longer runners?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think once you get the car, you should promptly sell that piece of crap to one of us who can put it to good use. If I were you I wouldn't buy a car with as many problems, totally unacceptable!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No 911 will "fall apart." Period. Reassure yourself about that. (Exception: '75-'77 thermal reactor equipped cars without front oil coolers and dealer-added air conditioning, in any location other than above the Arctic Circle.)

You'll greatly enjoy the car. And look at it this way, if in two years you drive it 20K more miles and decide it isn't for you, you'll likely sell it for about what you paid. A Cayman (or any other late model car)? Probably depreciating $500-1K/mo.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
One point of clarification. Varioram has nothing to do with the SAI issues which result in a check engine light. For the US market, OBD-II was introduced in model year 1996 which coincidently was also the year Varioram was introduced.

Varioram - desirable.......OBD-II - not so much.

PS - the best of both worlds are available with a 95 with a little work

Cheers,
Joe
You are correct. I was actually thinking of the link between the Varioram and the OBII.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the buy-it-and-drive-it advice.
Bought my '95 new and drive it summer and winter here in Anchorage.
Winter driving is a blast....constantly hang the tail out..
Winter driving is a bitch...roads can be incredibly rough; washboard after the snow plows, pot-holes, huge puddles during spring break-up, sliding into curbs.
At 72k miles my car is doing well; immobilzer has been the biggest problem (enough about that); steering rack went at about 35k, prior to that was the clutch slave (warranty).
Belts, oil changes, plugs, one brake job, normal stuff.
Car is still as tight as new, no rust, original windshield (ground and polished in several spots due to flying gravel from winter "sanding").
White paint is original and still in great shape.....seems very hard and does not need respray from rock chips, amazingly; though the paint is "sandblasted" off the trailing edge of all wheel wells.
Every drive is as thrilling as the day I drove it off the showroom; on that day I remarked to my wife "this may be the last car I ever buy", and I have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I dare say that once it got sorted out, my 993 has been bullet proof. We flog the car endlessly, and it doesn't complain.

Get a ppi. Budget for some maintenance. Remember, they're the king of air cooled cars.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:10 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a '95 993 with 18" wheels and nothing has fallen off of it over the two years that I've owned it

Pete's book is a great way to educate yourself on the pros/cons of the 911 series, and I read it cover to cover several times before buying my 911. But if the car has been well maintained and passes the PPI without any major issues, then just drive it and enjoy it. I think you'll find that the 993 (and earlier 911s) are very well made cars and, if reasonably cared for, will run reliably for a very long time.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993/907
Every drive is as thrilling as the day I drove it off the showroom; on that day I remarked to my wife "this may be the last car I ever buy", and I have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
I was thinking about this the other day. Reading Streather, the Varioram doesn't shorten the intake runners until around 5160 rpm. It seems that for a street car, running the longer intake runners would give you the benefits of the midrange torque at the cost of hp above 5160 rpm, which may not be missed on a street car.

Maybe an inexpensive upgrade. Can the early intake be modified for longer runners?
Check out the DIY link in my sig. Probably easier to convert to vram than modify your existing manifold. Plus, you still get the advantages of short runners at high rpm.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Feedback?
Worry less...a lot less.

They are far better put together than any other car I've considered, and I've considered a few.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went the buyers guide route before buying my 993. Very happy I did too (the guide and the car). The buyers guide was superb in helping me find a car that was worth spending money on the PPI for to cap the deal. the guide told me where and what to look for problems. I found a 993 that I could live with it's minor issues. Got the PPI for verification and to be sure I didn't miss anything a pro wouldn't. I also had a body PPI to be sure she was all original. Everything checked out. i knew what I would have to update/repair and all has been well so far.

This is the only car I have ever owned that makes me smile EVERY time I drive it.

Congrats on yours. Can't wait to see the pics. It's a requirement around these parts. Enjoy!

Nick
Old 07-28-2010, 09:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Well, there's always the solid reliability of a Japanese car.
I was considering an Acura NSX, but I knew I would never have felt the same about it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[
" A Cayman (or any other late model car)? Probably depreciating $500-1K/mo. "

Wow! I have not followed pricing on those cars.

Making some assumptions about purchase price and current value, looks like ours lost maybe $150/month on the average; we are to the point where the curve is nearly flat.
I agree; buy at a good price now, maintain it, and the car will likely retain it's value far into the future.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"So I purchased a 911 Buyer's Guide the other day. What a mistake!"

Sounds like it. I've had my car for 6 years and it has been rock solid reliable. The build quality of these cars is so much better than most others on the road. Porsche has had plenty of time to perfect the air-cooled cars by the time they got to the 993. If you got good results on your PPI, I would stop worrying and start being excited about your new arrival.

Enjoy and post pics when it arrives. After a couple of drives, you'll be hooked!

chuck
Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Selo,
If you still have worries/concerns/doubts after all of the knowledgeable responses to your questions, an older Porsche may not be for you.

As stated by others, these cars are extremely stout, very rebuildable, and signal the end of the air/oil-cooled era for Porsche.

I have owned my 6/94 build date '95 Carrera for nearly 5 years. Not one problem has surfaced. I have replaced/refreshed many an item, but all due to personal choice. After purchase, I drove it coast-to-coast. If needed, I'd do it again tomorrow.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Potential problems