Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will car pass CA smog with CEL off but a stored code for misfires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Will car pass CA smog with CEL off but a stored code for misfires?

Had a CEL for P0300, P0303, P0305. Light went out on its own. Will the car fail the CA smog test with stored misfire codes?

edit: aw man, I just checked and found that I have Conti belts and read non OEM belts can be problematic regarding misfire codes. They worked fine for over 5,000 mi. What gives?

Last edited by 2ndof2; 07-26-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Pending Codes' - if they occur 'repeatedly' -- will 'trigger' a full blown 'stored code' -- and, voila, you'll get a CEL. Think of pending codes as codes in your pocket (there but not visible) and stored codes as codes that you are holding in the palm of your hand (quite visible!)

When there's a 'pending code' (or two) in the system -- but the problem that has given rise to these pending codes doesn't happen during normal driving, then the obd-ii system figures they were 'transient' and (eventually) removes them. You don't even know this is happening because it happens 'in the shadows' so to speak.

You *cannot* fail (inspection/emissions) for a pending code. You can only fail for a full-blown CEL (i.e. a visible stored code) or if any/all of the readiness monitors are not 'set'.

New belts are around 50 bucks. Frankly I'd have all the belts changed to OEM so that a) you have peace of mind and b) the 'annoying' misfire codes don't happen (again).

Just my $0.02,
Gerry
Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

You should get a scanner and check to see if the drive cycle monitor is set. Since your CEL went out by itself, i.e. the condition was no longer present, the monitors may be set.

IF you reset them manually, via a scanner, the monitors need to go through the drive cycle to be set.
if the monitors are not set, you will fail CA smog, even if the CEL is off. Best to access a scanner, plenty of people have them, and check before you take it in.

If you want to come down to the Torrance area, both Gonzilla and I have OBDII scanners, but you can probably find someone closer to you.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. I do have a scanner. Have it for this very reason. Takes the mystery out of why the evil CEL lit up. I didn't clear the misfire codes incase my tech needs the data. Shortly afterward the CEL turned off. I ran the scan and the codes are still there but no CEL. So am I to understand then that the car should pass? Readiness codes should be set if I haven't cleared anything right? May have to look again tonight and see.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Thanks guys. I do have a scanner. Have it for this very reason. Takes the mystery out of why the evil CEL lit up. I didn't clear the misfire codes incase my tech needs the data. Shortly afterward the CEL turned off. I ran the scan and the codes are still there but no CEL. So am I to understand then that the car should pass? Readiness codes should be set if I haven't cleared anything right? May have to look again tonight and see.
I have an Actron 9180, and one of the settings is for state OBD check, which is a summary of MIL (on/off) and the various monitors (OK/inc)
I am not 100% certain, but I would think that as long as the MIL has a status of off, and the monitors are all OK, then you should be good.

Typically what I do, is write down the codes, note the mileage and date, and then erase the code.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no expert here either but I believe it's erasing the codes that then triggers a need to reset the system in order to pass smog. If you have "benign" flags and the system has reset itself then I'm guessing you're good to go. Worst case ask the smog station to do a pre-test before they logon for the official test. You'll know the outcome for sure before they send the test off and it gets recorded.

Quick Reply: Will car pass CA smog with CEL off but a stored code for misfires?