Sponsored by:

Looking for a 993 spare tire compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
dommorton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to be of assistance.

I'm not sure about the US cars but in the UK First Aid kits and Warning Triangles weren't always standard. They were a costed dealer fitted option.

I have a feeling the green kit shown in the pic from the C4S is not a Porsche item. Most I have seen are red and come in a zip up bag.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:36 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dommorton
Glad to be of assistance.

I'm not sure about the US cars but in the UK First Aid kits and Warning Triangles weren't always standard. They were a costed dealer fitted option.

I have a feeling the green kit shown in the pic from the C4S is not a Porsche item. Most I have seen are red and come in a zip up bag.
Do you mean red kits like this one? I thought those were just for 996 and newer cars, had no idea that they were used on 993's ...

Yes, I posted for folks to show me their first aid kits and emergency triangles last night and got a few "What?" responses:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=66492 so I suspect your right that those items were dealer provided at extra cost and the cars that have them still surviving might be in small numbers.

I thought maybe the hard-case green kit shown in the thread you posted might be a U.K. 944 item. We had grey ones in the U.S. about the same size, this one's from a 944 Turbo:
Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
dommorton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that's the kit I've seen, but I can't be certain if it's original 993 issue as the ones I've seen could well have been updated whilst in for service due to expiry dates. I remember when my Audi was in the dealer made a big deal about me having to update my first aid kit.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry a little motorcycle pump as a backup unit. It fits nicely in the spare wheel.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dommorton
Yes that's the kit I've seen, but I can't be certain if it's original 993 issue as the ones I've seen could well have been updated whilst in for service due to expiry dates. I remember when my Audi was in the dealer made a big deal about me having to update my first aid kit.
Yes, of course. That makes complete sense because most of the anticeptic/liquid stuff would be shelf-dated. My '95's kit would be considered "fine vinegar" at this point ...

Originally Posted by Rinty
I carry a little motorcycle pump as a backup unit. It fits nicely in the spare wheel.
Yep, I have a good quality smallish pump in the '95 that I got through Pelican, IIRC, that will probably pump up the space-saver spare in about half the time as the factory supplied pump. Here's what one of the U.K. guy's had to say about the factory supplied unit in the thread that Dom posted above for reference. (I love this stuff, Guy Ritchie couldn't write better script than this ...)

"yes, the top one, but it's [a] complete piece of ****e.

you can get a far better one for £10 from eurocarparts which even has a reasonably accurate gauge which the original does not.

i have both the original and eurocarparts (ring), the original takes at least twice as long to inflate plus you need a gauge after to check what psi you have inflated to if you have not died of old age in the mean time - don't bother, get something modern, if you ever actually want to use it."

Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone have a tire jack bag they care to part with?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts

I reckon they changed in about 96 from the ribbed to the small "****e" one, surely some guys on here have original 1 owner cars and can tell us?

I saw a 96 one owner one last week with the "****e" version
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
I reckon they changed in about 96 from the ribbed to the small "****e" one, surely some guys on here have original 1 owner cars and can tell us?

I saw a 96 one owner one last week with the "****e" version
I can speak to that somewhat. I've had a few p.m.'s here from folks who have '97/'98 U.S. models and some have the old style 'ribbed case with tabs' model and some have the small '****e' version (I think it's branded for life, now). All the input from U.K. Rennlisters show the small version for the '97 and later cars and now your post for a '96 so it appears that the U.K. may have gotten the smaller version more consistently. In my years owning Porsche I've seen many instances where they have 'mixed' together old parts with new 'equal' replacement style parts in inventory and what was selected for a particular car was whatever was next on the shelf and I suspect that is the case here. It looks like at some point for the U.K. (and maybe R.O.W., but I have no data) during MY '96 and for North America bound cars some time during MY '97 the smaller version was mixed together with the older style compressor units they already had in inventory and what you got was what was next up on the shelf at the time.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:37 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts

I think you have it spot on JP, depends what Herman picked off the shelf when your car went past him.......
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you guys have motivated me to have a look at what came with my car. It's only been two years since I got it....
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rinty
Well, you guys have motivated me to have a look at what came with my car. It's only been two years since I got it....
Right on. The data will set us free .....

Quick Reply: Looking for a 993 spare tire compressor