Originally Posted by arcteryxbird
Are they undetectable ? living in canada = big fine
Not all of Canada . . .
Old 07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mother - That's a nice setup. It doesn't look like a V1 though. Is it cordless?

LOL. I didn't know it was even possible to speed in that corridor. I'm usually thrilled if the traffic lets me even hit 55.
Very true. I travel at night, usually 7PM - 12MN.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ummm... V1
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richardew
Mother - That's a nice setup. It doesn't look like a V1 though. Is it cordless?

No not cordless but was thinking of doing it this way with hardwire, I have a Bel. This is where I found that setup.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...adarholder.cfm
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Priceless
Racer

With a v1, do u need a laser jammer like passport 9500??? If the laser goes off on the v1, is it too late? How do u k ow which states use laser? Ohhhh the q's....sorry, will just get the v1 & call it a day!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mother
....but how about radar vans that move from time to time?....
Beartracker
Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done ... how did you install the roof mount?

Originally Posted by David in LA
I'm a longtime V1 user but recently started using a Passport along with the V1. The V1 has good sensitivity and the direction arrows are a big plus, put the GPS feature on the Passport lets me mark speedtraps, traffic cams and other "sensitive" areas. (btw get a remote mute button to mount on the turn signal stalk...well worth the $6-10 cost)

Here's how my hard-wired V1 is mounted and I'm hoping to do something similar for the 9500ix.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Well done ... how did you install the roof mount?
I posted a write-up previously here:

Valentine hard wire mount

Originally Posted by rc1320
V1 but I just picked up a Passport 9500 from my dad I'm excited to see how I like it. The only reason I want it is because of the silencing button on the cigarette lighter.
You can also add a remote mute button...much easier to access than on the cig plug....about $10 on ebay.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Passport VS VI

The "GPS feature on the Passport lets me mark speedtraps, traffic cams and other "sensitive" areas."...is a great idea. In my area, Central Coast of Cali, we don't have traffic cams and speed traps...I should restate, we do have speed traps but the locals know where they are. There are only so many places the CHP can hide.

Note on my Tom Tom (Rented from AVIS) GPS I used in Spain, it calls out the Speed Cameras with a very distinct alarm. Saw almost 0 cops on the road over there, but lots of speed cameras. And the roads (Toll Roads), incredible, and not that expensive. They make our roads seem silly.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh993
V 1 + laser jammer. There is often a mobile speed trap on my way to work, and its fun to watch the cop get confused and examine his laser gun after shooting me.
I hardwired the V1 and installed on a custom mount above the rear view mirror, and you really have to look hard to see it. V1 has saved me the cost many many times over.
Order direct and ask if they have any new reconditioned units at a reduced price.
Michael
Thanks for the tip ... I ordered a reconditioned V1 today and saved $50 off list price.

How did you mount your V1 above the mirror ... any photos?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:07 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The V1 is undetectable. You do however need to careful about how drive and react when it goes off. I regularly drive through VA where they are illegal (but useful). Once I hit the brakes too hard when the detector went off and slowed down from 68 to 45 in a 55mph zone. The officer knew why. Lasar has to be stationary so you have a chance to spot them before they can spot you. I used to see them frequently on I95 north of Baltimore. They were easy to spot. Cop type car in the median with its' hood or trunk raised. There always enough traffic so that you can spot them way before they would zap you. Lasar is a small focused beam. It doesn't spread out as it travels (unlike radar). If the lasar warning sounds it's because you have been targeted.
The V1 and all detectors that operate in X, K and Ka bands are detectable (some more so than others), the V1 is actually dirtier (easier to detect) than others. In general the ones that are hard to detect to an average job of detecting radar. those that are 'dirtier' tend to be the most sensitive and therefore more accurate and effective.

PS: A friend of mine makes RDD's (radar detector detector's) for law enforcement agencies around the world, he has given me quite the education on radar detectors over the years. My friend manufactures the Stalcar / Spectre IV RDD's. Here is a link that shows how well they can detect detectors.

http://www.speedtraphunter.net/radar...detectors.html
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
A friend of mine makes RDD's (radar detector detector's) for law enforcement agencies around the world, he has given me quite the education on radar detectors over the years. My friend manufactures the Stalcar / Spectre IV RDD's.
Was it a tough decision for him, between that and killing puppies?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

opthopedalreflexanomia
Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lasar is a small focused beam. It doesn't spread out as it travels (unlike radar). If the lasar warning sounds it's because you have been targeted.
The Laser/LIDAR (Both terms are interchangeable) beam spreads out approximately 3 feet per 1000 feet traveled if an officer is using an LTI 20/20 or a Pro Laser III which are the most common LIDAR/Laser guns being used in law enforcement. We multiply the distance the beam traveled by .003 and it gives us the width of the beam. During the last 5 years of my law enforcement career I was the liaison for our department's training program in regards to radar and LIDAR/Laser training.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

I haven't read all pages (shame on me) but how often are you guys sending your V1's back for updating? I've had mine for years and never bothered to get it updated.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector