993 Forum 1995-1998

Strange high idle problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:34 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strange high idle problem...

So after three years of ownership I finally have a mechanical problem. For no apparent reason at all today, while driving, my car decided to idle at 2100 RPM's. I drove back home and gave it a visual once-over. Nothing out of order that I could see in the engine bay, all the vacuum lines were in place, etc.

Other than idling at 2100 RPM's it starts, drives, and performs fine. I let it cool down and later in the day went to a friend's place, and once again it was idling high, exactly as before. Hung out at the BBQ for a couple of hours, then left to go home -- and now suddenly it's idling normally. Except that a couple times after taking the car out of gear, the idle would settle a little high, like at 950 RPM's (it normally idles at 500-600 RPM's).

This is very puzzling. The car is mechanically in excellent shape and the only recent work I've performed is removing the engine/gearbox last month to do the clutch, re-gear the transmission, and a bunch of maintenance, but I've put almost a thousand miles on the car since then, all perfectly trouble-free.

When it was idling high, it felt like an old 911 distributor advance problem -- a hanging idle. Is there any reason to think this is a malfunctioning cruise control problem (cruise works fine, I checked it) or a throttle linkage/cable issue? Vacuum leaks usually don't come and go for no reason. I'm stumped.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

You may want to clean the idle stabilizer valve. Here is how:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...-_ISV_Cleaning

You might also cycle the throttle linkage while the engine is off, from the driver's seat and from the engine bay, to make sure it moves freely without any binding or sticking.

I'd put the cruise control pretty low on the suspect list. The usual failure mode is unable to engage or hold set speed.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All good suggestions above.

I just had this issue on my old 325is. It was the throttle position switch. 993s have them too so you may want to check it!

Cheers,
Joe
Old 07-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I thought mine was the cc because it was engaged when it happened. It was the ISV. Dealer thought it was a cable problem, drop engine for over $1K to check it out.

Also vac under the carpet near the gas pedal. There is a switch there.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone. I cleaned the ISV when the motor was out. Do they malfunction and cause an intermittent high idle?
Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 AM
HAKOSUKA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Thanks everyone. I cleaned the ISV when the motor was out. Do they malfunction and cause an intermittent high idle?
just wonder if you found the problem? i have the same problem as urs and its not always its just some days it wants to mess around with me
Old 02-26-2021, 12:15 PM
stevepeck1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HAKOSUKA
just wonder if you found the problem? i have the same problem as urs and its not always its just some days it wants to mess around with me
I've seen a dozen threads on this and few which reply and said what the problem turned out to be - anyone? Chasing this gremlin presently. Intermittent...
Old 02-26-2021, 02:09 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Does anyone have any codes?
Old 02-26-2021, 06:50 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

My car starts at a higher rpm when warm and nobody was ever able to diagnose it. My ISV valve couldn't be any cleaner.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:51 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

My guess would be a sensor intermittent of some sort. But most will throw a code, hence my question ^

these 25yr old cars suffer from contact corrosion and taking the engine out and back in can jiggle connectors into non contact.
solution is easy, disconnect, squirt with contact cleaner (carb cleaner at a pinch) and then make-break-make the connectors a few times to ensure good contact. Then you’re good for the next 25yrs.

a good scan tool will get you to the offending plug quicker but likely they could all use a clean

Quick Reply: Strange high idle problem...