Repainting affect value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM
DagoDewop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting affect value?

Hello all.

I have recently located a well optioned 2-owner 993 coupe that I am interested in buying. The car has 100k miles and is reportedly in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition (maintained on schedule and exclusively by Porsche dealers).

However, the car has been repainted in a different - albeit factory - color. Assuming the respray is high quality (window/rubber out) and the respray is not atop undisclosed bodywork, does the repainting devalue the car or is the originality of the paint a nonissue given the mileage?

Your thoughts?

Mike

Last edited by DagoDewop; 07-16-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:38 PM
96_993TT
Racer

Obviously this is based on opinion but I think changing the color of a car would have a detrimental effect on resale. As for just a respray from age or rock chips in the SAME color that wouldn't bother me at all as long as it was documented that it wasn't due to an accident. IE, pics before it was sent in and notation from the shop that is a cosmetic spray.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no expert, but here is how I would rank value (from highest to lowest) on a 993, all other factors being equal;

1.Excellent to very good original paint
2.High quality respray in original color
3.Fair to average original paint
4.Fair quality repaint in original color
5.High quality repaint in different color (assuming everything is painted the new color)
Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Greg's list. On an older car I might interchange 2 and 3.

I would be most curious as to why the car was painted and then how well it was painted. I doubt that windows were taken out etc.. so it probably will have original paint in places. If you are serious, it may be good to have the paint thickness measured in various places as part of the PPI. Actually, have a good body expert do an inspection as well.

If it is a good car mechanically, the paint was done well and you like the color and you get it at the right price...
Old 07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

A 993 partially re-sprayed in a different color? No thanks. I'd pass.

Andreas
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

A respray in a different color would be a deal-killer for me.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

No way. I could never buy a car with a colour change. Greg's list above is pretty close to how I would rate a car's value (again 2&3 interchangeable). Just my opinion though.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:03 PM
DagoDewop
Advanced

Thanks for the quick feedback, folks. The loaded options list was what attracted me most and since this car will be a daily driver the paint was initially a secondary concern. But, then I started thinking that I might end up selling the car sooner than expected and the repaint might become a detrmiment, which the consensus confirms

The owner claims to have repainted the car because he did not like the original special wishes color in which the car was originally painted - some variant of amethyst as I recall. What a shame to devalue a car that had such a rare combination of features.

Thanks again!

Mike
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DagoDewop
Thanks for the quick feedback, folks. The loaded options list was what attracted me most and since this car will be a daily driver the paint was initially a secondary concern. But, then I started thinking that I might end up selling the car sooner than expected and the repaint might become a detrmiment, which the consensus confirms

The owner claims to have repainted the car because he did not like the original special wishes color in which the car was originally painted - some variant of amethyst as I recall. What a shame to devalue a car that had such a rare combination of features.

Thanks again!

Mike
Sounds weird to me. Why not just sell it and then buy another in a color he preferred. If he wanted something a little more 'standard', it wouldn't be hard to find. These cars aren't that rare afterall.

Personally I wouldn't buy a color change car either, no matter what options it had. What color is the car now?

Definitely get a full bodyshop inspection too if you decide to take the next step.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM
DagoDewop
Advanced

The car is now arena red (which goes great with the full leather cashmere/black interior). And I fully agree that the full respray mandates a trip to a body shop for a full inspection.

Mike
Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
If you are serious, it may be good to have the paint thickness measured in various places as part of the PPI. Actually, have a good body expert do an inspection as well.

If it is a good car mechanically, the paint was done well and you like the color and you get it at the right price...
I completely agree. With 100k on the clock, mechanical condition, and price would drive the deal for me..especially since you intend to use the car as a driver. If the color combo does it for you, and the repaint looks well done, if the price is right, then buy it, and drive the wheels off of it.

I never had a paint gun put on mine, but I'm pretty sure the car has had some work done on it. For me, it was mechanicals, and price that drove the deal. I am hoping to eventually have the car gone over with the paint meter, just for grins and giggles.

Stuff happens when you use these cars in the real world, and I accept that consequence.

Should the resale concern you, since it has been resprayed? That is for you, and you alone to decide. If it is what you are looking for, it's available at a fair price, and a PPI checks out...go for it.

Many on here will tell you how they enjoyed the search, well...they're a hell of alot more enjoyable to drive, I'll tell you that. I searched for 4 1/2 months for exactly what I wanted, eventually I settled for one close. From Memorial Day weekend, when I got the car, to today...the mods have been almost non stop. It's almost there, but just not yet.

So, research, investigate, seek-find, and buy..then drive. Sounds simple doesn't it?

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Sounds weird to me. Why not just sell it and then buy another in a color he preferred. If he wanted something a little more 'standard', it wouldn't be hard to find. These cars aren't that rare afterall.
Well said. Imagine seeing all of the original-color in nooks & crannies while doing maintenance, running a wire, or otherwise digging into the car.

Andreas
Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

This word "respray" makes it sound like an afternoon with a hose.

A good paint job is hundreds of hours. Remove or sand down the factory paint. Then covered with lots of primer and sanded and color coated. Then color sanded etc. And then it is NEVER as good. The factory paint is just a memory.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SPD YLO
And then it is NEVER as good. The factory paint is just a memory.
In what sense? Many concours-level restored cars have paint that is much better quality, better finished than factory. But these paint jobs can cost more than the subject car!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 AM
DagoDewop
Advanced

Thanks again for the input everyone. This forum is a tremendous resource.

Mike

Quick Reply: Repainting affect value?