Sponsored by:

I really dislike yearly inspections

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I really dislike yearly inspections

Just came back from my yearly required NC state inspection. Man I really dislike people inspecting the car that have zero knowledge of it. Of course they opened the front hood looking for the engine. No surprise there. Ugh!
I absolutely refuse to take the 993 to the quickie lube places that do inspections. At least my GM dealership will do it for me since I have given them so much business over the years. They treat the car well (wear gloves) and that is the most important thing I guess. Obviously no independant Porsche mechanics close by that do inspections. Oh well, I'm done for another year and at least the $13 won't break the bank. I know it is pricey elsewhere, and I don't think I couild cope with the stories I've heard from MA and CA.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I've stopped taking the Porsche to those things. When I got my C4S one of the guys at the shop looked at it and exclaimed: "But the rear is bigger than the front!" I nodded. Next statement was: "Well that can't be good!"

NYS uses the weakest glue for their inspection stickers so I just bring in my Audi twice
Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No inspections in FL, so race exhaust upgrade for all!

We don't have state income tax either, but I hear NY & NC are nice during the Fall...we don't have a Fall either
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What sucks is that in Texas, MY95 falls into the tailpipe rolling test, and none of the Porsche dealers have them. So you have to take it to a third party, I just hover and make sure they do it right.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ilko
I've stopped taking the Porsche to those things. When I got my C4S one of the guys at the shop looked at it and exclaimed: "But the rear is bigger than the front!" I nodded. Next statement was: "Well that can't be good!"

NYS uses the weakest glue for their inspection stickers so I just bring in my Audi twice
That would be real nice here but they have the system computerized to coincide with the license plate renewal. No inspection = no renewal.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaptainCalf
No inspections in FL, so race exhaust upgrade for all!

We don't have state income tax either, but I hear NY & NC are nice during the Fall...we don't have a Fall either
Oh, I remember FL well since I spent most of my life there until retiring here. I go back far enough to remember the old inspection stations that were eliminated back around 1980 or so. Crooked repair shops that served as inspection stations was the downfall of that system.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you get your next rolling tailpipe test,tell them the car has traction control . Here they then only do a test in neutral which is easier to pass because of no load. A routine inspection isn,t a bad idea,it catches the junk cars more than the good ones.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:26 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

The beauty of MY95 and OBDI in Illinois--falls out of the inspection time window!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I used to own a string of 1st generation MR2s for many years. Those that came with a sunroof had the clips in the front trunk (mind you, the car is mid-engined) where the sunroof would lay flat just under the "hood" lid. The sunroof, of course, was glass and the carpet inside was black.

Looking at the monkey open up the front trunk and suddenly seeing their own reflection was priceless. And before the flames, yes, if a "mechanic" doesn't know where the engine is, he's a monkey.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine always seems to be a lick'em and stick'em Job. No emissions for me, so that's nice! So I guess that is one of the few befits to living in no man's land.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Warpig
Pro

Originally Posted by BSL
The beauty of MY95 and OBDI in Illinois--falls out of the inspection time window!
Amen to that brother... I opened my mailbox today and found an Illinois EPA test notice in there... My first thought was... Wow, they DO want to test the 95 993. I opened it to read it... It was the notice for my winter beater not the 993.

Nick
Old 07-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Not only do I live in Canada, but in the left-most of all provinces... and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised (amazed in fact) that we get away with no inspections nor emissions testing. Yet. A rare blessing in a nanny state.

I hope that when the inevitable bureaucracy steps in, my car will be old enough for an exemption.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey Dave, just wait 'til that CEL comes on , think you hate them now!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't sweat it guys... Think how Heather Locklear feels about her annual inspection!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't mind inspecting Heather Locklear.....

As for TN, I think it's only near the 4 major metropolitan areas but we have the OBDII test only but they do look for the Cat. It's funny to see then slide the mirror under the door and act like they found it. I've never had a problem at the 2 stations I've used, they usually say they don't see too many of these cars they're always very friendly. No complaints from me.

Now right after I put the Cat bypass pipes on the Cayenne and they did ask about those. I told them the cats were up closer to the exhaust manifold (they are) and they passed me. It would not be easy showing the cats to them, they're well hidden on that vehicle.

Quick Reply: I really dislike yearly inspections