Sponsored by:

OT: Trailer Hitch installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default OT: Trailer Hitch installation

This is totally OT for a Porsche forum, but you are the only folks I know who have car-knowledge, so I thought I would post to try to get some ideas/ help.

I'm starting to look for a new DD and am running into a couple of issues.

One of the major problems is the ability to haul my mountain bike.
Currently I've got a Thule hitch rack with a trailer hitch mounted on my S4 - that's right, on an S4 sedan. I was able to find a D'Lan hitch rated to 200# that worked for the A4, but it has the limitation that I am supposed to run straps to support the weight when in use - something I will admit I do not do, as I don't want to scratch the paint or bend the trunk-lid. It's one reason I sold an old trunk-mount carrier after I trashed the trunk lid on an old Acura Legend coupe. The other reason is the relative inability to use a "carrier style" rack due to the geometry of my mountain bike frame.

This is the current set-up:

I do NOT want an SUV as a DD (The Cayenne GTS and Infiniti FX50 were the only candidates, but they have a Sirius satellite deficiency issue).
The option for a nice DD plus a "beater" truck/SUV or keep the S4 is not realistic at this time as I am not able to store 3 vehicles (my lease contract prohibits it).
I do not want a rooftop rack.

So the question becomes, is it really possible to attach a trailer hitch to ANY car? Can it be done with sufficient support/ bracing to eliminate the need to add support straps?
The leading DD candidate is a 2010-2011 Mercedes E550 coupe.

Any assistance/ advice is appreciated.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:07 PM
icelatte
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russ,

I run a 2.5in hitch on my 05 Subaru Legacy. It's the stock hitch setup for the Outback but it works for the LGT also. I attach a Peterson bike carrier to transport my road bike. Not as pretty as yours, but it weights probably no more than 40lbs. The front fork attaches to a skewer like a roof rack, and the rear wheel is strapped on. I use no support straps.

I'm sure Hidden Hitch or other aftermarket hitch setups word work for a great many sedans.
Are the support straps recommended for any load or for towing?
Old 07-03-2010, 01:11 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Per the information posted on etrailer.com regarding the hitch closest to what may fit on the E550 coupe (it's the one for the E350 Sedan so I do not know if the back end is similar enough):

"All non-trailer loads (bike racks, cargo carriers, etc) must be supported by stabilizing straps per Curt warranty requirements"

I need to find out if this refers to metal straps that would be welded and hidden under the car body, or if they are, as I suspect, fabric/ rubber straps that hook into the trunk lid.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Doc. Not exactly what you are asking, but Joes hitch and trailer in Dallas is the best around. Call them and they know everything. And they will do the best job installing it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: OT: Trailer Hitch installation