Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimal steering wheel diameter for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Optimal steering wheel diameter for the street?

My car has the stock 380mm 4 spoke which I want to replace with a 3 spoke. What do those who have or tried the 360mm think?
Is 340mm too small for the street?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO, but I think a major consideration is how tall the driver is and how close one sits to the wheel. Those are big variables,.....

I'm 6 ft and prefer the 350mm Cup wheel (Momo Mod 07).
Old 07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want an airbag wheel, I think the standard 3-spoke is a good compromise. It provides a smaller feel, good leg clearance, and minimal gauge obstruction. I'm just shy of 6'. Anything smaller for me would cut right into the key parts of the instruments that I use during regular driving.

I think the RUF / Techart / Attiwe(sp) wheels are too thick and the smaller opening blocks more of the instruments.

Just depends on where you put your priorities. No doubt that a thick rimmed smaller diameter 340-350mm wheel would feel really good, but there are downsides. Also, if you are 5'5" tall, you can get away with a smaller wheel.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Aesthetically I like the look of the smaller wheel. Practically I have to agree that some of the instruments will be a little more obscured. I don't really care to have the airbag which is why I've shortlisted the Atiwe 32 clubsport, 993 RS and possibly the Momo 07. The FVD/RUF 340mm looks great but there may be too many compromises and it may be too chunky a grip.
I'm 5'6" so sit fairly low in the cockpit.
The features I really want to improve are thickness of the wheel (stock is too narrow even for my average sized hands), physical presence and reduce the turn input.

Quick Reply: Optimal steering wheel diameter for the street?