Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead - can I use trickle charger to charge it up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
it's under a cover to the rear of the garage. I've been so busy lately that I don't even notice the car there at times.
Well, seeing as you have TWO AMGs to drive...
Old 07-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I wouldn't use a trickle charger to try to bring back a flat battery, especially if it is a glass mat battery. Even a regular charger has trouble with those due to the high draw. Pep Boys will charge and test the battery for free if you take it out and bring it in.

FYI, Kragen (O'Reilley) has the Shumacher trickle charger on sale this weekend for $25.

I have used the Shumacher trickle chargers for many years on all 4 Porsches that i have owned, permanently mounted next to the battery. A lot cheaper than the official Porsche unit that plugs into the lighter.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:29 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
I wouldn't use a trickle charger to try to bring back a flat battery, especially if it is a glass mat battery. Even a regular charger has trouble with those due to the high draw. Pep Boys will charge and test the battery for free if you take it out and bring it in.

FYI, Kragen (O'Reilley) has the Shumacher trickle charger on sale this weekend for $25.

I have used the Shumacher trickle chargers for many years on all 4 Porsches that i have owned, permanently mounted next to the battery. A lot cheaper than the official Porsche unit that plugs into the lighter.
That charger has three different charging modes. "Trickle", low amp battery and regular battery full on charge mode.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts

So it's a beautiful morning, cool, sun is out and since it's a long weekend and traffic will be light, I said hmmm..maybe I should drive into work. Take the car cover off, admired the big butt that I hadn't seen in weeks, and proceeded to start car. Nothing... ..dead as a door nail...so on went the trickle charger. I had forgotten to put the charger on since our last fun-run... This thread will certainly be a reminder...
Well 14+ hours later and JLO is still dead. So if you're in a rush, the trickle charger is not the answer.

Originally Posted by vincer77
Well, seeing as you have TWO AMGs to drive...
lol..the C is driven all the time, the E is a quasi garage queen...
Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Gamma
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update -- I plugged in the porsche branded ctek 3300 into the cig lighter adapter and about 5 minutes later the door alarm lights started flashing again. That's good news. Hopefully I can get a engine crank out of it tomorrow.

Thanks all for the replies
Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Car started after 24 hours on the tricke, off to AX.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Gamma
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car started after 24 hours on the tricke, off to AX.
Nice

My car started 13 hours after maintainer was put on, even though ctek 3300 did not show a green light full charge. Phew.

Thanks all for the help!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gamma
Nice

My car started 13 hours after maintainer was put on, even though ctek 3300 did not show a green light full charge. Phew.

Thanks all for the help!
Cool...wish mine hadn't started..got $^$^# ticket for no front plate. 2 miles from the AX course.

Well after all these years, I guess I shouldn't fret about it.
The following users liked this post:
vokain (04-14-2022)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

My regular battery charger brought my battery back to life in 2hrs.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just to add another data point.
My 997.2 was totally dead from having sat for months this summer. It had a relatively new battery in it (1-2 yrs old). Plugged in the trickle charger. Initially a bit crazy time, as the car coming back to life does its light flashing/beeping exercise, but as the trickle charger feeds current in 1 second bursts, it looked and sounded a bit like a low volume dance club in the garage. That went on for 5-10 minutes until there was enough charge in the battery for the car to settle down and stop beeping and blinking its tail and hazard lights and interior lights. At that point, I still didn't have enough juice to pop the hood release (which the Cobra JumpPack I'd picked up a year ago, also didn't accomplish - more on that in another post). No window operation, no nothing... it appeared as dead, but silent. So I let it do its thing. (this was ~7pm in the evening).

10am the next morning (some 15 hrs later), checked on the car, it was still charging, but it was now alive. I could operate the windows up and down (to reset them) and the interior lights came on and off with door closure; the window up on door close now worked again. Hood release worked. Battery Maintainer still indicated it was not fully recharged so I let it stay on the charger.

10am the next day (some 39 hrs on the charger) the charger light was green. Turned off the charger, then on again... 30 secs later it was green again. So it took between about 16-39 hrs to recharge a totally flat but relatively new battery.
The following users liked this post:
vokain (04-14-2022)
Old 03-16-2015, 04:28 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

If battery has run flat you may want to look into a charger with desulfation feature. Removes sulfate crystals that damage the battery, which regular chrgers don't do.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,062 Posts

[QUOTE=Gamma;7702276
Can I get a maintainer or trickle charger to charge the battery via the cig lighter socket?[/QUOTE]

I have a I.5 amp float charger plugged into my cigarette lighter. I revived a dead battery after charging for 18 hours.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...arger/13005742

Last edited by pp000830; 03-17-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As an added note, sometimes you may have to "wake" your battery from a "deep sleep" with a standard 12V-10A charger. Just over night, then the trickle should be good. The trickle chargers just don't have enough amps to kick start the cells to wake up.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

The reason why some battery chargers, and not only trickle or maintenance chargers, do not charge an excessively discharged battery that is low in volts is because the charger circuitry needs to see a certain battery voltage to function.

And that will depend on the charger; some operate at higher voltages than others. In those cases, you need a DC power supply to raise the battery voltage to the limit the charger will start to charge. You can also do that by using booster cables from a good battery, at which point when the charger starts to charge, you disconnect the booster cables.

Of course none of this should ever happen. So use a battery maintainer while the vehicle is parked for more than a month.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:38 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamma
OK, 993/907, now you're scaring me.

I'm going to do unlock the car with the key tomorrow morning, pop the lid, attach the Ctek 3300 and report back.
Recently my battery died and car wouldn't start. BUT the immobilizer function was working fine (had to click the fob before keying the ignition on to even get click-click-click sound of a starter that wasn't spinning) and the key fob could still unlock/lock the car. I suggest you try using the fob first, due to 993/907's experiences...

+1 on the CTEK here. I got all my accessories for it from Amazon so can't help you with the local availability.

Quick Reply: Battery dead - can I use trickle charger to charge it up?