993 Forum 1995-1998

transmission shifting into first hard unless stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 PM
air993
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default transmission shifting into first hard unless stopped

i am having trouble getting into first gear unless the car is almost stopped. i just had the transmission fliud changed, but that didn't improve the situation or make it worse. even when the car is stopped i feel like i am having trouble getting all the way into first. it feels like the gear is sometimes not totally engaged. the clutch is not slipping. what could be causing this? thanks in advance!

lucas
Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Does double clutching (Clutch in - Clutch out - Clutch in - Shift) before shifting into 1st make it any smoother/easier?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I went to the doctor and said, "it hurts when I do that." He said to me, "don't do that." 8^)

this was more pronounced on my car until my mechanic switched me to Swepco. I also find its not as bad just with single clutching (clutch in, goose the throttle, clutch out).

Please don't make fun of me if that's not single clutching.

dave
Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds like your first gear syncros are gone.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you bled the slave cylinder recently?

Also, why exactly do you need to downshift into 1st while moving? 1st is so short that pretty much all it's good for is getting moving from a stop. If it won't go into first while you're stopped, that would be abnormal.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Lucas,

One need a lot more information to offer anything useful or constructive toward diagnosing your problem.

How many miles on the car?

How many miles on the clutch?

Have you ever bled the clutch hydraulics?

What oil is in the transmission?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 AM
air993
Rennlist Member

hey guys,
Thanks for the relpies so far. Steve, the car has 55,000 miles on it. I'm not certian, but the clutch probably has around 40,000 miles on it. The previous owner had trouble correctly using the clutch, and needed a new one after fifteen thousand miles. I haven't beld the clutch, but my mechanic used royal purple for the new fliud. There is no crunching sound when going into first. The car is just doesn't feel like you can use first unless you are stopped. Then after stopped it sometimes feels like first doesn't engage all the way.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

sounds like the PO put on some of those 40K miles too then?

in any case, probably not the clutch

maybe slave but if it isn't sticky in other gears... maybe not.
does the clutch pedal feel smooth and easy?

I would take a look at the shift components if it feels squishy.
though I would expect to feel wierdness in other gears too.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
air993
Rennlist Member

yep the pedal is smooth and easy, andd all other gears are ok just first is giving me trouble. you called it right to mark. i got the car with a little over 40000 on it.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

It sounds to me like you may have damage to the operating sleeve that actually engages the gear. This would give you the vague feel that you are describing, it could also have damage to the gear's dogring, and the synchronizer is certainly in need of replacement.

Long and Short of it here is that if you have tried a different oil, with no luck, it is probably time for a rebuild.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you with this.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4929 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Despite the recent clutch work, there is the possibility of the disk hanging on rusty/grimy input shaft splines. This has been known to cause this very issue.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by air993
hey guys,
Thanks for the relpies so far. Steve, the car has 55,000 miles on it. I'm not certian, but the clutch probably has around 40,000 miles on it. The previous owner had trouble correctly using the clutch, and needed a new one after fifteen thousand miles. I haven't beld the clutch, but my mechanic used royal purple for the new fliud. There is no crunching sound when going into first. The car is just doesn't feel like you can use first unless you are stopped. Then after stopped it sometimes feels like first doesn't engage all the way.
Thanks for the info!

Clutch fluid is hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture and becomes compressible) and in your climate, thats one of the first things I would address. The clutch system should be flushed to get rid of any old fluid as a good start.

Chris raised a very good point and one I was going to, as well. Rust or corrosion on the input shaft of the transmission causes the clutch disc to drag or hang and this causes difficult engagement and/or disengagement of gears; the lower ones in particular. The transmission must be removed to inspect, clean and lubricate the input shaft to prevent recurrence. Again, this is more prevalent in hot, humid climates when someone replaces a clutch without properly lubricating the input shaft with the correct product.

Lastly, its possible that your transmission needs some internal work, but I'd deal with the above, before making the decision to open the transmission and inspect everything.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Why would you ever shift into 1st when you're still moving? Seriously, I never ever do that, because no 911's take that well. Certainly none of the 3 that I've owned.

And I don't do that in my other cars either. I don't see a need.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Why would you ever shift into 1st when you're still moving? Seriously, I never ever do that, because no 911's take that well. Certainly none of the 3 that I've owned.

And I don't do that in my other cars either. I don't see a need.

+1, I go down to 2nd the just kick it in neutral from that point and brake to a stop, or just stay in 2nd until stopped.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 PM
air993
Rennlist Member

thanks for all the replies. we have a bunch of stop signs in certian areas of town and i downshift into first before completely comming to a stop. other times i shift into first to keep the revs over two thousand. is it not bad to lug the engine? i may need to change my driving habits. steve and chris thank you both. i will post results as soon as i get some. hopefully this doesn't involve opening the transmission
lucas

Quick Reply: transmission shifting into first hard unless stopped