993 Forum 1995-1998

Breakdown in Santa Rosa CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:03 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breakdown in Santa Rosa CA

ABS and anti-lock warning lamp came on while driving. Stopped and attempted to restart. Nothing but clicks from starter. Tried new DME relay, nada. Durametric PC shuts down as soon as ignition is turned on. Any ideas?

I'm about 65 miles from home and it's hot.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bet your alternator and/or voltage regulator is done. As a result your battery is now discharged. See if you can get your hands on a fully charged battery that fits and you may be able to make it home (use as few electrical items as possible).

Good luck,
Joe
Old 06-26-2010, 08:29 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Thanks JMarch. This sounds like a tow job for AAA. No battery within reach.

rbeggs
Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Closest decent wrench is Steve at DeJung Motorsport, 459 Portal St., Cotati (about 8 miles south of Santa Rosa just off 101), (707) 664-8002
Old 06-26-2010, 08:32 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Jump start. Get to an Autozone and pick up a battery. Drive it home with no elect items on
Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Your alternator's gone. Belts too, probably. It happens to all of us eventually.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:53 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

How'd it turn out?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:51 AM
verhag
Pro

It may be simply the alternator belt shredded, gone; I'm sure you've checked it, but if not, take a look. Happened to me in Vegas 2 months ago.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Default Update, Santa Rosa breakdown. Somebody wanted to know what happened next

So it was supposed to be a weekend getaway for my wife and me in the wine country. It started nicely enough. Passed a passel of 911's coming the opposite direction near Sonoma. Lots of cheery waves and blinking headlights. But no.

The antilock and ABD warning lights came on while driving. No others. I stopped and attempted to re-start and got the dead battery clicking sound. While it seemed unlikely I replaced the DME relay and was not surprised. Next I checked the belts. All three were there and taut.

I resorted to Rennlist with my Iphone and sure enough, there were helpful souls out there with nothing better to do on a lovely weekend than to peruse the list. Lot's of good advice but none I could act on so the call went into AAA. I have the 100 mile free tow option. This once got us out of Death Valley in the Beemer. Highly recommended. Here's how the rest of the "getaway unfolded.

1. AAA guy shows up on time.

2. He determines it's a bad idea to drive the 60+ to S.F. on a jump start and finding a battery is too much hassle.

3. Helping line the car up for the truck, we push the car over my right foot. My toe really hurts but no mind.

3. Concerned AAA guy suggests we stop and get some ice for my foot.

4. At this point, for as yet undetermined reasons, I go into anaphyalctic shock.
I have never experienced anything like this previously.

5. My face becomes numb, I'm seeing in strobing B&W, and my lips are like Botox gone bad.

6. AAA driver gets worried look on face.

7. I say I'm really okay, It'll pass.

8. We move on but my wife insists on professional medical assistance. AAA guy agrees and gets on his mobile.

9. I keep turning around to look through the glass to make sure the car's okay and adjusting the bag of ice on my throbbing toe.

10. A hospital is conveniently located and we roll up to emergency in the 2 story Peterbilt.

11. Whisked into ER with a blood pressure of 73/56, I'm IV'd with epinephrine, benadryl and prednisone and told I must be under observation for at least two hours.

12. AAA guy, visibly concerned, says he'll stick with his member but looking down a me on my gurney, in my gown, looking like a plasticene circus freak observes that "this isn't normal."

13. AAA guy eventually says he's been instructed to surrender this client to another driver from an area further south and unloading the 993, he reluctantly leaves.

14. Immediately upon the AAA trucks departure I'm released.

15. A new truck is requested and dispatched.

16 The new truck can't make it because of emergencies further south.

17. The original truck is now available. The driver has rested and been able to change out of his shirt which was graced by a large red Slurrpy spill.

18. Happy AAA guy re-loads the 993 and expresses satisfaction that he can personally follow through with taking care of his members. It's only right.

19. We arrive in S.F. and the car is artfully backed down the street and pushed into the garage, tow eye facing out.

20. Battery placed on charger.

21. Sunday A.M. battery charged. Car starts right up. No warning indicator of any kind.

So what happened? The alternator is the prime suspect but its lamp never showed nor does it now. The battery was dead flat with no prior
indications of depletion. Startup an hour before the failure was fine. I can only guess that it's something intermittent. I'll get it into the shop Monday and we'll see.

In closing, the AAA guy was great. Very conscientious about the car and obliging with regard to my concerns. The onset of the medical crises put him into an even higher state of of solicitude and responsibility."I just want to get you folks home safely. It's my job."

My toe's fine.

rbeggs
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Holy cow, what an ordeal.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your whole ordeal. Sometimes those things happen without explanation.

When my alternator went out it gave little or no lights or indication. I charged the battery and it would drain out after driving or overnight. Swapped the alternator and all was well.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 PM
JM993
Banned

If you have a multimeter you can easily check the alternator. Start the car and check the voltage at the battery. If you see less than approximately 13-14 volts when the car is running, your alternator is not fully charging the battery.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Wow.

First your car does an unexpected belly-up and then you do, too.

I hope your car gets sorted out, but more importantly hope you're doing okay.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 AM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

I think we all go into shock when something happens to our cars. All the best in both the intermittent situations!!

-Doug
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

bad alternator or possibly loose belt?

Quick Reply: Breakdown in Santa Rosa CA