Sponsored by:

LWF how can I tell ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LWF how can I tell ?

I have a recently purchased 1995 993 C2 It has been loved in the past (has full PSS9) and expensive tires.Burns no oil on start up either . Also a PCA sticker. I bought it from 3rd owner with no records available. 3rd owner did next to nothing. It has 109000 mi. It seems to rev very quickly but it doesn,t have any low gear rattle that I can detect, Is there any way to see into the bellhousing to determine if it has the lightweight flywheel already. I am expecting to need a clutch this winter and would like to gather parts before dropping the engine.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if you can see in there, but if you lug the engine at about, say, 2K and put it under load, I think you'd certainly hear the gravelly rattle of a LWF.

dave
Old 06-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy. If at idle at a traffic light, the gearbox will sound like someone is shaking gravel in a tin can(thick walled).

The other clue is that your engine will be very responsive to any movement.

When you goose the throttle, it feels like you drive a JAP superbike...

Trust me... you will know... :-)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Listen at idle, if it's rattling, push the clutch in or gently push the stick toward a gear, if it quiets down significantly, that's the LWF. It's particularly noticeable if you're in a drive through next to a brick wall.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question. No expert here but how about you find someone local to you who knows the difference. Let them rev your car. They will be able to determine instantly.

GL!

Let us know

Bob-
Old 06-26-2010, 12:43 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car has a LWF but barely rattles -- however, you can still detect it. With the motor warmed up, sit in your driveway at idle with the door open. Push the clutch in and out once or twice. Even if your gearbox doesn't rattle very much, you should still be able to hear a distinct change in sound between clutch in/clutch out.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
Is there any way to see into the bellhousing to determine if it has the lightweight flywheel already.
The LWF uses an aluminum starter ring gear while the DMF starter ring gear is steel. So if you remove the rubber seal between the flywheel speed reference sensor and the bell-housing you can see the side of the flywheel. Usually there will be nearly zero corrosion (just a slight discoloration) on the LWF starter ring gear, while the DMF ring gear will have corrosion equal to that on the flywheel itself.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 PM
fredcalero
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car will weigh 20 lbs less than a stock car
Old 06-26-2010, 02:57 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

A LWF car is also a bit tougher to launch from a stop since there is less rotational inertia. If your car launches like most other manual you've driven it probably does not have a LWF. If you have to think about it and feather the clutch, you may have one installed.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:43 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You would likely also need an aftermarket chip to avoid stalling when quickly coming down from high revs. No stalling prob means no LWF. Even chipped I stall mine fairly often when not allowing the revs to come down slow enough.

Quick Reply: LWF how can I tell ?