Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Cal Smog - Referee Station no help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:42 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

When the government enforces rules that make no sense, i.e. not allowing a car to pass smog when it doesn't generate above the threshold of smog limits and passes the emissions test, sometimes people will circumvent the rules.

Not saying I advocate this, but there are many crooked smog places that will pass your 993 for a little cash bribe.

If the powers that be are going to game the system to screw you, there are ways to screw the system.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:11 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As I've had to deal with this so much I feel like a Smog expert. The reason for the "test only" is due to a random draw. No other reason then the above post. It's a measure to try and keep the system level.

I love Cali. But the BS I've had to go through over the past 6yrs is crazy. I just wish I had figured out the drive cycle 6 yrs ago and none of this would have been an issue.....
Old 06-24-2010, 08:43 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Yep, I've heard the whole random draw thing, but I don't entirely believe it. I had a '97 4Runner that got flagged for "test only" every time it came up for smog...someone told me there were certain models that CARB was specifically focusing the test-only on. Not saying that's a fact, just saying it's too many times for coincidences...and since 993's are known to have issue, maybe they are now getting put on the list...???
Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
I just got my smog notice. Says I have to go to a "Test Only" station...not sure why, but they are requiring that on some cars now...so the option you mention isn't even an option sometimes. These "Test Only" stations are not allowed to do repairs.

Going tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed.
A Gold Shield station can also do the test.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
When the government enforces rules that make no sense, i.e. not allowing a car to pass smog when it doesn't generate above the threshold of smog limits and passes the emissions test, sometimes people will circumvent the rules.

Not saying I advocate this, but there are many crooked smog places that will pass your 993 for a little cash bribe.

If the powers that be are going to game the system to screw you, there are ways to screw the system.
Good luck with that. If you know someone, keep it to yourself. He's running on borrowed time. The guy I've used for ~20 years (his cousin owned the business prior, and still owns a 930 3.0) is absolutely frank about CARB running stings. Every time I pop in, sometimes I just stop by when I'm driving by, and he'll tell a story or two about a shop that was shut down.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, and back to the readiness codes. When the C4S got screwed on a dead battery it failed. Bob said he could pass a car that had, I believe, 5 of 7 reset.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Yeah from my undersanding a smog station can pass you if you have 2 flags not set, the ref can pass you with 3. Anymore and its the drive cycle for you.... The problem is that 99% of the time with our cars 5 are not set.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't even chance it any more. When the 993 needs to be smogged I just do two drive cycles to reset the readiness codes. I have yet to fail a check since doing this. When I bought the turbo the Carfax showed a smog check failure. Based on the fact that the car only had 10,000 miles put on it in 10 years this was very understandable. However, as was posted earlier, if you don't understand the system, this could raise a red flag.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 PM
fixedgame
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading countless threads about CEL and Drive Cycle.
My understanding is that you may use a code scanner to get rid of the CEL but you still have to do the Drive Cycle to reset all readiness codes to pass smog in CA.
Is that correct?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fixedgame
After reading countless threads about CEL and Drive Cycle.
My understanding is that you may use a code scanner to get rid of the CEL but you still have to do the Drive Cycle to reset all readiness codes to pass smog in CA.
Is that correct?
Correct. But just because you get a CEL and clear it does not mean you lose your previously "ready" codes...it's only when you disconnect the battery (or it goes completely dead in the car) that they go to not ready.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM
fixedgame
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Correct. But just because you get a CEL and clear it does not mean you lose your previously "ready" codes...it's only when you disconnect the battery (or it goes completely dead in the car) that they go to not ready.
Thanks Adam.
If one lives in an area that is impossible to do the drive cycle, what other option do we have?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

SOL....
You don't need a deserted road to to the cycle. It can be done on normal roads. Just takes a litte patience.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:40 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fixedgame
Thanks Adam.
If one lives in an area that is impossible to do the drive cycle, what other option do we have?
I know some have said the "dyno" technique does not work but I'm not sure i buy this entirely...I mean, the dealer can reset the codes and I think they do it on the lift and charge about 2 hours of labor, right? I tried the dyno technique but only did the cycle once. After reading some more about it I think the trick is to do the cycle twice with a significant cool down (a few hours) period in between.

So, you can go pay the dealer $300 to get them set as one option...or try the dyno technique. I'll be trying the dyno thing again myself but doing two cycles this time...I'll let everyone know if it works so we have at least one more data point.

Quick Reply: So Cal Smog - Referee Station no help