Sponsored by:

AC Experts, Interpret This Data

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:19 PM
avslash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Experts, Interpret This Data

I had noticed the ac in my 97 didn't feel as cold as usual. and on a 400 mile plus road trip last weekend, I noticed the system was spitting cold water at me from under the dash.

So, this morning, I hooked up the trusty manifold gauges after a vigorous 10 minute drive. With RPM's at a steady 3000, I measure High side pressure of 135/140 and Low side pressure of 120/130 at 87 ambient degrees.

I know this is low for the high side and very high for the low side, respectively.

The very helpful AC diagnosis thread here seems to point to a stuck open expanision valve.

Any way to test this while its on the car, or trick for dealing with such a situation.

Any other items that this data set might point to as faulty???

Within the last 10K miles, under the previous owner, the car had a new evaporator, drier, "resistance switch", and front a/c lines replaced at the dealer.

Thanks for any help. Its HOT in Houston. Car had done fine a/c wise, prior to this last week or so. Hmmmm.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To go back to the most elementary, simplistic, even insulting observation.................the compressor IS engaged? (Sorry, but I have to go back to square one sometimes with what I've been through over the years.)
Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 PM
avslash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Compressor is engaged. Visually inpsected that compressor clutch was engaged and spinning.

Thats consistent with my symptoms. Some cooling is taking place. Subjectively, I would estimate I have lost about 1/2 of my temperature drop at the vents.

Quick Reply: AC Experts, Interpret This Data