Sponsored by:

Wheel paint success!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel paint success!

After buying some used turbo twists I decided I would refinish one of them that had a few chips. I probably should have just left it. I did alot of research trying to find a color code match for the Porsche wheels. There is not alot of good info out there on this subject. Everybody recommends Wurth which is hard to get around here. I tried a few off the shelf wheel paints as well as some other Duplicolor silvers which were all too dark. A bodyshop supply place told me wheels couldn't be computer color matched and sold me some single stage paint that supposedly matched a paint chip I selected but after spraying 2 wheels with various spray parameters it ended up being too dark. I then found another bodyshop supply place that tried computer color matching and sold me some Dupont Chromabase NH583M (L) Honda Vogue Silver. This is a base/clear type of paint. Voila! It is very very close and the Porsche wheel paint is hard to match. It also sprays very nicely (even with a cheap mini HVLP gun) compared to some of the cheap paints I have bought. I don't want to say how much I spent on paint but I probably could have got a wheel or two professionally done for the money. I might even spray my Cup IIs now. Hopefully this helps others who want to tackle this DIY project.

ps the pic show a newly painted wheel compared to an original. I haven't got them out into the sun yet but the colors are very very close.
Attached Images     
Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, looks like a pro did it.

The next trick is getting a tire on it with out a "ring" in the paint. If this happens, pop the beed and mask the tire for touch up.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Wow, very nice Matt. Hope to pick up some painting skills and tackle the nose one of these days.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent job Matt !! How many coats of clear did you apply?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Excellent job Matt !! How many coats of clear did you apply?
Thanks. Just a couple of coats.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice. It would be great if you could find some place to bake them a bit to harden the paint before you try to re-tire them.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM
matt777
Drifting

I'm going to use a local sports car repair specialty shop to mount and balance the tires. They are into Porsches, BMWs and the like. They recommended waiting a few days before mounting my new Sumitomo HTRZIIIs. I guess if they mark the wheels up its not a big deal now
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nicely done. They look great.
chuck
Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

2nd the Chuckster. Great job.

Mike
Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Matt,
They look great. The best part is every time you look at them you'll know it was worth the effort.
Randy
Old 06-12-2010, 02:23 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Those look fantastic! Good for you for not giving up.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! V Nice.....but as somebody said earlier you should try and bake them to harden them, it would be a shame to waste all the effort! Find a local spray shop and ask if you can put them in a bake when they are doing something else and iy may cost you very little or maybe even zero when they see the effort you have put in!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Nicely done Matt! I've got a set of turbo twists in the garage that I wouldn't mind touching up. I've never used anything but spray cans before though. Would I be able to get by with a 6 gal pancake compressor and where did you pick up your HPLV gun?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 545 Likes on 369 Posts

Looks great!! Let us know how they look when you get them out in the sun. I may try the same recipe.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM
matt777
Drifting

Thanks guys. I'll try and get a pic out in the sun today. Hopefully the color match is good (it seems to be) and everyone won't have to go through the same hassles as me.

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Nicely done Matt! I've got a set of turbo twists in the garage that I wouldn't mind touching up. I've never used anything but spray cans before though. Would I be able to get by with a 6 gal pancake compressor and where did you pick up your HPLV gun?
I picked up a mini HVLP at our Harbor Freight equivalent (Princess Auto). It was $30 and is great for small jobs. I actually measured the paint mix out with metal kitchen measuring spoons. My compressor is a 120 volt 7 cfm unit with a 30 gallon tank. It's ok for the small HVLP but won't keep up on bigger jobs.

Originally Posted by dhicks
Nice! V Nice.....but as somebody said earlier you should try and bake them to harden them, it would be a shame to waste all the effort! Find a local spray shop and ask if you can put them in a bake when they are doing something else and iy may cost you very little or maybe even zero when they see the effort you have put in!
I think that paints cure chemically now and the baking applies to older enamel paints. Shops might use heat to speed the curing process up a bit though. I'll have to take my chances but I'll wait a week before mounting the tires.

Quick Reply: Wheel paint success!