993 Forum 1995-1998

WTB Convertible Top & Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 PM
jhb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB Convertible Top & Headliner

A previous thread got me thinking about doing my own top replacement. I have decided to at least get the top in my hands and then I can determine whether to DIY or sub it out.

After a Google and Rennlist search, I came up with a few links:

gahh
convertibletopguys
richandfamous
topsonline
tops4less
cabrioworld

Most are about the same price if you compare fabric to fabric. I have noted several people buying the top from Rich and Famous for about $450, but noted that this was the Haartz fabric, not the German original, if you care about such things.

Maybe people can list where they bought their tops, what they paid, and how it worked out on this thread for others to reference?

I am leaning to convertibletopguys as they are in RI and I am in MA, so they are close by.

One question for me is headliner. I have the windbreak that zips into the headliner. I see no reference to this as an option on any website, and when I spoke to the guy at convertibletopguys, he said to reuse my headliner as the ones he sells do not have the zipper. It appears that none have this as an option. This leads me to believe that it needs to be sewn in.

At this point, I probably will reuse my headliner, but wondered what others have seen.

Last but not least, what about the elastic for the bow? If this is not replaced, then I will have to worry about the bow not folding the top properly and putting the guide pins through the top. Thoughts here? Is this elastic part of the new top?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Andre'
Instructor

GAHH - replaced mine in 2006 canvas and inner liner, and the quality is close if not even a match to OEM specs. Total was around $1,600 installed. Would go for the same again.

Andre'
Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
chet
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhb
what about the elastic for the bow?
That elastic runs from the frame of the main folding bow to the intermediate folding bow, and isn't part of (or attached to) the canvas. I just bought some elastic from a fabric shop and guessed at the appropriate length. It's working like it's supposed to so far, but I don't know what the life expectancy is.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:59 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a navy blue top for my (ex) white cab a few years back from Veteran company in Los Angeles. Came with a headliner with a zipper and made of German canvas. Just sold the car and top still looked brand new (although rear window slightly hazy) despite Hong Kong weather.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:37 PM
jhb
Racer

I bailed: I called a local top guy here and he quoted me $1800.00 for top and install, using my headliner.

It will take him 1 1/2 days to do. He uses GAHH as a supplier, and will charge me the online price and shipping. The rest is labor.

I'll post the Shop name and the results in a week or two when done.

Quick Reply: WTB Convertible Top & Headliner