Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bent piece on shock tower?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 AM
guards red
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It also looks odd to have virtually no piston rod sticking out of the top nut...
Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So am i hurting anything by driving on it like this until I have it installed correctly?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
So am i hurting anything by driving on it like this until I have it installed correctly?
Well because no one else has answered I'll give my unprofessional opinion.

Answer= Kinda.?.

The caster has to be wrong so, if you don't take it back to the original shop, I would jack up the passenger corner (sounds like this is the only one reversed) and loosen the 4 nuts, drop down the strut and spin the hat around then lift it back up and reinstall the four nuts then get it realigned. However if you do this the shop that installed it wrong owes you nothing as you can't show them what they did wrong, but at least it will be in the right direction and then you can smack the metal down and install that strut brace you wanted to put in.

I would still go back to the shop make them remove the strut, then beat him over the head with it , then reinstall, align and enjoy.

Please let us know how the FSD shocks do once it is sorted.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:39 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Well because no one else has answered I'll give my unprofessional opinion.

Answer= Kinda.?.

The caster has to be wrong so, if you don't take it back to the original shop, I would jack up the passenger corner (sounds like this is the only one reversed) and loosen the 4 nuts, drop down the strut and spin the hat around then lift it back up and reinstall the four nuts then get it realigned. However if you do this the shop that installed it wrong owes you nothing as you can't show them what they did wrong, but at least it will be in the right direction and then you can smack the metal down and install that strut brace you wanted to put in.

I would still go back to the shop make them remove the strut, then beat him over the head with it , then reinstall, align and enjoy.

Please let us know how the FSD shocks do once it is sorted.
Thanks for the input. I called the shop and they said the shocks were idiot proof, so that says a lot right there, If it is just that easy as you say to undo the nuts spin the shock hat around and install, maybe I'll take a stab at it tomorrow. What torque on the nuts? 18 ft/lb?? And does it matter if I spin the hat clockwise or counterclockwise? Or just as long as it does a 180 and the red dot is forward? When I spin it around will the shock be centered more in the opening like the other side is??
Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a DIY hacker so my opinion shouldn't be trusted but it shouldn't be that bad to turn the mount, but you need to look for any other damage that may have been done to the mount. The torque listed is 24ftlb but tighten at your own risk, I have read more than one thread about twisting them off, I went hand tighen with a short 1/4" socket then used a torque wrench set at 200 in/lbs and they didn't turn so I called it good. I did recheck everything after I drove it a bit and they were still tight. These are serated nuts so make sure the backs are not smoothed out before you reuse them. If you decide to do this yourself the caster will be wrong (probably camber too and maybe toe while we're at it).

Good luck whatever you decide, just make sure to get it realigned.

Quick Reply: Bent piece on shock tower?