Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT- anybody know much about 550 replicas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
A couple of guys come to our club's DEs in the Beck 904. I don't think it's to look cool. It's because you can't get a real 904 and the Beck is just freakin' IS cool.
Awesome to watch go around the track...
http://www.beck904.com/photos/
Chuck Beck is an awesome guy! And I can tell you that the 904 that he builds is top notch. Although it does not have heat or A/C, it is a well sorted car and uses Porsche parts as much as possible. The car he drives around and to most events has a 993 3.6L engine in it and that car screams! He also has a test mule with a fresh 3.8L engine in it that he uses for DEs that is incredible.
The last time I was at his shop, he had two completed 904 cars going to the same guy in England. One LHD and one RHD because the customer was not sure which one he preferred.
He sold the rights to produce the 550 to a company in California which I suppose is the one mentioned.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know how much he wants for the 904?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:11 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He told me he would take my 993 in trade.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
ipapilot
Intermediate

That may have been a smoking deal! I believe he is getting significantly more than NA 993 prices for those.... He was running a 3.2 a year or so ago in his, and I believe his son had the 3.6. They sure did look good ripping around Barber....
Old 05-25-2010, 11:40 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have thought long and hard for many years about a Vintage 356 speedster. It would be for the raw feel of that type of car. I have a friend who has one and absolutely loves it ( I introduced him to the idea ). I agree with the idea of buying used and "trying it" for awhile, prices are pretty steady on them.

My friend has had no real issues with his and has taken some lengthy road trips with it. I would characterize it as a "safe" Harley. Just a fun, impractical weekend toy.

I wouldn't wear a fake Rolex, but I would own a replica 356. It is a different situation all together.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i would take a cobra rep or intermeccanica 356 (generally regarded as best of the rep builders, utilizing true tube chassis & in case of below car fully rebuilt 3.2) over the Beck.....if i had extra play $......

Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG! Kill it with fire!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 AM
speedbump2
Racer

Originally Posted by Parnelli
a 550 link was on another post and got me in the '550 fever'. Love the black one. What does a guy need to know about these and where is the best place to look for them?

ANY info helps.

Thx!

I've been doing a litle research on 550 replicas, and while I don't know much, I'll share what I know.

There are three prominent manufacturers. Vintage, Beck/Chamonix, and Thunder Ranch.
Those three are tube chassis, fiberglass bodied, mid-engined cars.
There are some others, but for the most part, they are VW floorpan, rear-engined models.

Of the three, I've found that Vintage looks to have the best frame construction, followed by Thunder Ranch,
and then Beck/Chamonix.

They all offer many options for brakes; modern, or traditional wheels; a few different transaxles; and engine
options including air-cooled VW or Porsche engines, and water-cooled VW or Subaru WRX engines.

Buying new can get fairly expensive, some getting close to $60k.
Good, well-appointed used cars run from about $20K to $35K depending on the options.

I want one in the worst way!
I was set to go check one out in the Pittsburgh area, but the real estate sale that was going to provide my
fun-money fell through.

--Chuck--
Old 05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Jake G
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by porscheralph
I bought a "knockoff" of a 65 Cobra - a 2006 Superformance - and am enjoying it! Sure it is not "real" but it goes nice, is not expensive, I can drive it without worry, is cheep to insure (relatively - less then $350 a year) and yeah it gets a lot of attention. So, if you want to have fun, a 550 is that kind of car - a daily driver - no way - but it could be fun on the weekend or trips to the drive in. I have never driven a 550 knockoff but have been tempted to "indulge" myself - maybe someday - after I sell the Cobra.
I also have a Superformance replica Cobra. I must say that it is the most fun I have had with a car...and I have owned hundreds in my life. Well built, stupid fast, and looks like a million bucks literally. As a civil servant I will never be able to afford the real deal and this car lets be enjoy the benefits of the original without the cost or headaches of driving a million dollar car. I drive my car to Costco to dinner and take it on week long trips with the club racking up countless miles. I would not do that in an original.
The bottom line. I would sell my 993 before my Cobra. I say if you like the 550 or the speedster....talk to lots of people with them and go drive one. See if it lives up to you dreams. If it does, buy it and enjoy it!

My 2 cents, Jake

Here is a pics of a Superformance with a Roush 427R 557HP/536Ft.Tq. I just sold for a friend. It only had 450 miles on it. Sold for $50K. New was over $70k.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Originally Posted by Parnelli
...ANY info helps.

Thx!
There's some other stuff I learned about the 550 replicas:

It's important to remember that the originals were '50s racing technology,
and the replicas are very much the same.

Just about every driving review I've read says that these things can be a real
Bear to drive at, or near, the limit.

There are a couple of reasons for that.
The front suspension either is a VW twin-tube front end, or is based on the
VW twin-tube.
And the rear suspension needs some type of camber compensator, either
minimum travel coilovers, or a Z-bar, or a leaf spring add-on compensator.
This is because the swing-arm TXs will put the rear tires way over to positive
camber while cornering, or when lifted by aerodynamics at high speeds.

--Chuck--
Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a nice driver on eBay ...

For sale, a stunning Porsche 550 Spyder replica.This little car is race ready/show worthy and street legal.(passed an Ohio safety inspection , your states requirements may be different , check local laws before bidding).

It has a full tube race chassis and is equipped with a 1968 Porsche 912 1600cc engine (now 1715cc) Dyno'd at 144h.p. producing 140 ft.lbs of torque.the engine and driveline were built and tuned by Dale Wise of Wise Motor Sports In the 80's.Mr. wise was the chief engineer for Rahal Racing at the time.

It is also set up with a Hewland Quick-Change five speed gearbox , a Tilton brake balance bar , 4 wheel disc brakes(w/working air ducts),Koni 30 series shocks and a 911 rack and pinion. Recently new carpeting and wiring were installed(2-3 months old)

The car comes with a Haulmark trailer that was purchased new solely for this cars use.It currently sits on Yokohama "cheater slicks" Front :195/50zr Rear: 205/50zr15 Plus a set Hoosier racing slicks mounted on Porsche " phone dial " wheels Front : 205/50zr15 Rear:225/50zr15

This is NOT a thrown together kit car. the body was made from the same car as the Beck kits,an actual Spyder.
No expense was spared in its build.The original cost was $77,000 dollars ($13,000 in the engine alone). The reserve for the car/trailer is much lower than that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Old 05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbump2
There's some other stuff I learned about the 550 replicas:

It's important to remember that the originals were '50s racing technology,
and the replicas are very much the same.

Just about every driving review I've read says that these things can be a real
Bear to drive at, or near, the limit.

There are a couple of reasons for that.
The front suspension either is a VW twin-tube front end, or is based on the
VW twin-tube.
And the rear suspension needs some type of camber compensator, either
minimum travel coilovers, or a Z-bar, or a leaf spring add-on compensator.
This is because the swing-arm TXs will put the rear tires way over to positive
camber while cornering, or when lifted by aerodynamics at high speeds.

--Chuck--
I drove a replica 550 this Monday gone at the local PCA DE Day. As an Instructor I get to drive some interesting cars, and this one was no different. This one was quite an old replica even used the original style drum brakes. It was quite a tricky car to get used to, braking was average at best, it pulled well, but you had to be very very careful setting it up for corners, lift throttle oversteer, was very evident. Smooth was the order of the day (as it should always be).

I would be into a Beck 904 in a second as a fun weekend car, one of my favorite Porsche styles of all time.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

i'm going to drive a beck 550 that my car club just got next week...i can report back
http://www.classiccarclubmanhattan.com/index.php
not even listed yet
Old 05-28-2010, 03:37 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

I believe there is a forum, similar to this one. Try www.spyderowners.com. I use to be on the speedster forum and it was pretty good.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

904 at Sebring. Sorry for the crappy cell phone video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjsP_qal3oM

Quick Reply: OT- anybody know much about 550 replicas?