OMG, I have a real stereo!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
michaelh993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG, I have a real stereo!

OMG!, I have a REAL stereo!!!!

I'm not an audiofile, but I do appreciate wide variety of music when I drive. My 96 C4S had the "Hi-fi" option, and I always assumed that this was good quality, and that the poor sound was more a function of car acoustics. By poor, I mean "mushy" sound, hard to disinguish discrete highs and lows and poor bass. Man, was I wrong.

I've been working on an interior upgrade, and as part of this, I decided to see what, if anything, could be done about the poor sound. After reading hundreds of posts on Rennlist (thanks friends), I decided to save up for an upgrade. Listers kept talking about the big difference a new set of speakers would make, how a good quality amp would make an even bigger difference, and how subs would round out the total sound spectrum. Rennlist also led me to Rod Birch, Porsche sound magician, and information from his web site: http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/

With Rod's help, what I settled on:
Hertz 165 MLK speakers (installed behind original speaker grilles, but removed black plastic nokia boxes) Looks completely stock.
Focal subs in CAI enclosures, on floor behind front seats (I'm 6'5", these did not limit seat travel)
Audison LRx6.9 amp under passenger seat (Yes, it is long, but fit perfectly by projecting it towards the rear)
Kenwood KDC-994 Headunit (simple black look, not flashy looking, choice of display colors and options)

Rod provided perfect, easy to follow step-by-step instructions, and installation parts. I managed to complete the installation this week without screwing anything up. The most difficult part of the installation was moving the seats to install the subs and amp, as they were really stuck in the rear position and the #%&^**!!! seat cables were damaged.

The sound and performance is...well indescrible. I now have a sound system on a par with the car that houses it. It sounds like a million bucks (almost true on a teacher budget), but its so incredible. I finished up the install and just sat and sat in the car for the longest time enjoying music off my IPOD that sounds so new now with all of this. Still trying to understand all of the 100,000 adjustments and features of the new HU, and blown away that so much can be so reasonable in a HU.

I had no idea when I started down this slippery slope what a big difference this would make in the sound. wrong assumption that as I had this incredible car, that the "hi fi" system was on par. Live and learn.

A VERY satisfied CAI customer; thanks to Rod, as I could not have pulled this off on my own. Perhaps one more thing to add to your "list."

REGARDS,
MICHAEL
Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics please.....

Quick Reply: OMG, I have a real stereo!