Sponsored by:

Zone 1 Concours ****PIX****

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zone 1 Concours ****PIX****

Last weekend the "Zone 1 Concours" - car show - was held at the grounds of the beautiful “Old Westbury Gardens” here on Long Island.

Yep, I took some pix.

http://ifly.freeyellow.com/miscell/z...2010/index.htm

And here’s some pix of my car being ‘judged’ (yes, it certainly looks like he’s “birthing a foal”.)

http://ifly.freeyellow.com//miscell/...2010/index.htm

Enjoy,

G.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh nice - thanks for the pics.
Your car looks pretty neat and clean.
Did you win ?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Thanx.
I put a LOT of work into prepping it (about 60 hrs. worth) ...and came in third.
Several cars were trailered there - you can see their 'flatbeds' in the background - (and were judged without bias) - so with 40,000 miles on the odometer I knew I was a 'gonner'.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Good thing I wasn't there, you would have been bumped to 4th!

Congrats on the third place.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:26 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great shots - well done!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Good thing I wasn't there, you would have been bumped to 4th!

Congrats on the third place.
Hey Alan!
Yeah, jeebus, my score was 295 out of 300 ...and I got third. Yikes.

I got 'docked' for not having the 'official' air-pump and although my windshield was pristine clean - it had some 'nicks' in it, plus they found some dirt way back in the back of my engine and my seat rails -- get this -- instead of being literally spotless - had a smidgeon of grease on them. Yes, apparently your seat rails are _not_ supposed to be greased. This is news to me.

The ones that got top honors were either trailered in or were low mileage garage queens where the owners take off the bubble-wrap just to bring them to the shows.
I can't compete against those.

BTW, am willing to offer my services (expertise?) at the AAC - and help out with the judging - rather than enter it (again!) this year. Soooo, if you have the name/email of the fella who always judges us (and what a plate-load of work he has that day!) - pls. forward (PM) it to me. I'd like to 'give back' this year.

Gerry
Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

nice pics. thanks for posting.
its a nice venue for a show too.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hey Alan!

I got 'docked' for not having the 'official' air-pump and although my windshield was pristine clean - it had some 'nicks' in it, plus they found some dirt way back in the back of my engine and my seat rails -- get this -- instead of being literally spotless - had a smidgeon of grease on them. Yes, apparently your seat rails are _not_ supposed to be greased. This is news to me.

The ones that got top honors were either trailered in or were low mileage garage queens where the owners take off the bubble-wrap just to bring them to the shows.

BTW, am willing to offer my services (expertise?) at the AAC - and help out with the judging - rather than enter it (again!) this year. Soooo, if you have the name/email of the fella who always judges us (and what a plate-load of work he has that day!) - pls. forward (PM) it to me. I'd like to 'give back' this year.

Gerry
And THAT, dear children, is why I won't enter these things. 60 hours of work and you are dinged for grease being found where grease is supposed to be??

YGBSM!!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:44 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Next it will be "there seems to be an oily substance on the car's dipstick."

Car looks great as usual. Thanks for the pics.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hey Alan!

Gerry
I was a bit surprised about the seat rails too. Since I'm not competing with you at the next show I'll share what the judges told me. Put the seats all the way forward and clean all the grease off (top/bottom). Push them back and do the same. Now push them forward again and use a very small amount of white lithium grease. Push them back and add the grease to the front.

The trick is that the grease needs to be clean, not black.

Same goes for the hood latch up front.

Nice job BTW, beautiful 993. I believe I stopped by and commented that Iris was by far one of may favorite Porsche colors around the time you were putting everything back in the car after judging.

See you at the next one.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:14 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Nice, Thx for posting
Old 05-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

You should hire me to enter. Judging my car would take so long, they wouldn't have time to check your seat rails.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 AM
SoyRacer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I was a bit surprised about the seat rails too. Since I'm not competing with you at the next show I'll share what the judges told me. Put the seats all the way forward and clean all the grease off (top/bottom). Push them back and do the same. Now push them forward again and use a very small amount of white lithium grease. Push them back and add the grease to the front.

The trick is that the grease needs to be clean, not black.

Same goes for the hood latch up front.

Nice job BTW, beautiful 993. I believe I stopped by and commented that Iris was by far one of may favorite Porsche colors around the time you were putting everything back in the car after judging.

See you at the next one.
Both of your cars looked fantastic.

I did full concours once and that was it. I love and enjoy my cars on the road and track too much to have someone scrutinize them ever again. I just show up for the social aspect and show in street class only.

Most people have never seen a euro spec 931 >;-)

(In your album, mine is the euro spec two-tone 924-turbo --> 931)
Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Your 924 Turbo caught not only my eye - but the eyes (and drooping jaws) of many that were there that day. Awesome!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Gerry,
PM Sent.

Quick Reply: Zone 1 Concours ****PIX****