Sponsored by:

Nevda Open Road Challenge Recap; Caution Lengthy Post

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Denny,

Congratulations! My best friend, now deceased, won the 105 class in the Silver State several years ago. Amazingly, he ran solo in a blown 1992 Mustang GT.

Be careful, these open road events are just as addictive as 993s. He and I ran One Lap of America "just one time for fun" and then I ended up running it four more times before the cost became prohibitive.

No matter how many times you run the Silver State, you'll always remember the first one as very special.

Regards,
Terry
Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

ok, now first, congrats on what looks like a good run.

But what is to prevent someone from just setting the cruise control at 105? Seems its mostly open highway with just a few turns.

Do you have a map of the course?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm amazed in this litigeous age that the State of Nevada would allow such an event. Hope they allow it to continue.

I'm sure you had to sign your life away several times - holding everyone including your grandparents harmless from law suits, damages, etc.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 AM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ok, now first, congrats on what looks like a good run.

But what is to prevent someone from just setting the cruise control at 105? Seems its mostly open highway with just a few turns.

Do you have a map of the course?
Interesting that you would bring up cruise control. I had planned to use it, but at speed, (I'll have to check the manual) cruise was inoperative......after the event, on the way back to Vegas, at legal speeds, cruise worked just fine....must have a max operating speed is my guess.

You are correct, open highway, however, there are dips, hills, sweepers, and of course the Narrows....regardless, a bank or buffer of time is helpful prior to entering the Narrows...not to say one couldn't take those canyon twisties at 105, certainly could, but please remember, this was my rookie attempt and goal #1 was steadfast...no harm to the car or my navigator.

Denny

Quick Reply: Nevda Open Road Challenge Recap; Caution Lengthy Post