Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab Top fixed: Cost? 1 screwdriver!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:21 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cab Top fixed: Cost? 1 screwdriver!

This post is more for the search listings for top fixes than anything, but I DID fix the roof for $0.00, and wanted to make sure this fix was a little easier to find. Not sure if I'm in the clear, but the top works again, so so far, so good!

Net Net,

One night I pushed the rocker button, and after reaching the top windshield frame, the roof bumped it and stopped, resting on the pins. no further movement or noise.
I pulled it into the garage, tried again, and just heard a faint clicking from somewhere.... no motors, no transmissions, etc. Sounded like a relay or something...

I couldn't access the panel where the microswitches in the top were, unless reverting to manual, but previous posts pointed to the controller under the dash, so I went after that.

RListers "aircooled" and swmic were helpful as I tackled getting the vent off to access, then contortion, then resoldering the controller. So I touched up some solder joints and reinstalled it... nothing.

Next step would be to go manual, and test everything, or face a $2K dealer bill.

I decided to re-read the existing threads again(there are a million of them, and very disjointed) one more time.

Buried in the about the 40th thread I read was a recommendation that I never saw the first time I was researching, from Chuck W. I highly recommend trying this:
"Here is a link to a prior post dealing with the problem.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...&highlight=top

I’ve had this same thing happen twice to me. The fix both times was the same and very easy. Get a long thin flat nose screwdriver. There are two openings on the header of the top. If you put the screwdriver all the way in and turn it clockwise you will be able to manually close the top. If the top stopped too far from the car you may have to apply some slight pressure to bring it closer to the car. First do one side then the other. It is a very slow process and takes a lot of turns as you are turning the worm gear manually. As you do this the top will appear to rise then will settle into the closed position. Once you have done both sides activate the button and open the top as you would normally. I can’t give you the technical jargon why this works, but it does. It’s like you’re resetting the system. I now carry a screwdriver with me in case this ever happens on the road. Good luck…"

It worked for me... hopefully my worm gears still have all their teeth, and we're in the clear. Now bring on the sun!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

froogleyankee.... Good deal. There is no wonder you had trouble finding it; it was originally posted in April 2005. I carried that screwdriver in the cab until the day I sold it. After I converted the top to manual it I had few problems. But then again, I kept the top down 99% of the time. I would go a year without putting the top up without issue.

Way to use the search feature!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-closing.html
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
aircooled
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a cab, always cringe when putting the top up and a sigh of relief when it actually closes. Thanks for the heads up, will now be a part of my on board tool kit...cheap insurance for sure!!

Almost near the 'Warm Season", like Chuck W just keep the top down and carry a large umbrella....

Jim
Old 05-08-2010, 01:24 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

your problem reads like the little forward stop switch on the transmission, passenger side rear seat behind the panel, needs adjustment.
manually locking the front mechanism possibly just pushes the switch forward.
but why not pull the panel and adjust it?
why did it seem like the front latching motors were the problem?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:23 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never suspected that they were the problem, but this fix worked.

I'll do that adjustment if it acts up. I think this instance was due to the fact that I closed it on a relatively steep, like 30% grade, driveway, and the top came down a little harder than it should have...

the pins or switches must have hit the wrong way, and it needed the equivalent of what acted like a "reboot".

Originally Posted by k722070
your problem reads like the little forward stop switch on the transmission, passenger side rear seat behind the panel, needs adjustment.
manually locking the front mechanism possibly just pushes the switch forward.
but why not pull the panel and adjust it?
why did it seem like the front latching motors were the problem?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Let me be the first to say that they don't call you froogleyankee for nothin'.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah baby, works like a charm!

Quick Reply: Cab Top fixed: Cost? 1 screwdriver!