Sponsored by:

Newbie 993 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Newbie 993 questions

This is sort of a newbie question that many will say 'search' for but i have not been able to find a definitive answer.

I have been considering buying a n/a 993, C2 for sure. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what the typical 'gotchas' are for engine maintenance. For example the 951 series is timing belts at 35k miles and 20hr clutch jobs. Does the 993 have anything like this? I am aware of the SAI issues, but wondering what else there is? Also how do these engines stand track use in relatively stock configuration? The 944 series has oil starvation issues from hard cornering. Stuff like pan baffles and crossdrilling the crank help alleviate the issues but no 100% fix short of dry sump. Does the 993 engine have any 'quirks' like this when driven on the track?

Like i said, i have searched and read a few old threads but did not really find the answers i was looking for.

I have been debating selling my 951 in favor of a 993. I love my 951 to death and i think it is safe to say mine is in the realm of heavily modified. I however am growing a little tired of it as a result.. i always feel like something is in need of some type of adjustment after every track outing.Not to mention the fear of blowing up the engine for me is much higher with forced induction when blasting down the straights. I long to return to the days of naturally aspirated, all motor power simplicity. Forced induction is great, but the complexity level is more than i like to be bothered with. The 951 is mostly a nice weather and track car now days and even then only drive it every other month due to my work schedule. The car is fast, but the powerband is not street friendly at all. It would also be nice to have a car that would allow me to get back into auto-x'ing. My 951's power is basically useless in this setting.

Ive really only been thinking about this for the last 6 months about, but seeing a few very nice 993's come up for sale (and one particular RL members car right in NJ) has made me start thinking much harder about this. Dare i say i am almost 'done' with modifying my 951 and by July it would just be routine maintenance from there on out. I have a few more things to finish over the next 2 months (mainly suspension), yet i am wondering if i should just cut my losses now and start afresh with a 993 instead.

I do love the 951, but in taking with a friend of mine he brought up a good point. If i am thinking about selling the car, the love for it is probably gone. And i think he may be onto something.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not as technically savvy as some of the other folks here but I found this book to be a great reference when I was in the market. It breaks down some of the gotchas and quirks of each model/year series. It's a good place to start anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Used-911-Story...3279489&sr=1-1

Good luck with your search! The 993 is an awesome car and fairly bulletproof. I am sure you'll enjoy it very much.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is NOT meant to scare you off. But Tony Callas has compiled a list over the years of the various and sundrie things they have seen more than once. I would like to know what the top 5 are on this list.

But as has been said..it is a pretty bullet proof. Nothing but regular maintenance for me so far (knocking on wood!!!) and I pretty much beat the crap out of it on the track on a regular basis!
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The immobilzer is a PITA, especially on the mid to late 95's. Early 95's did not have the #%$$@& things I have read; and it is very difficult ($$) to delete in the OBD1 cars. OBD2 cars can have their control units 'flashed' to eliminate them. Mine crashed a couple of weeks ago, spend about $2k on a new controller etc and it still acts hinky.
Off topic: I would not consider buying any make of car that has the 'proximity sensor' keyless ignition after dealing with the lousy immobilizer Porsche gave us. Might be nice now, but in a few years I betcha they are going to be aggravating.
Back on topic; considering the performance these cars are capable of they are truley reliable. I drive mine under very harsh winter conditions and at 72k miles it is still as tight as new. I do need to replace shocks, boots, etc.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Other than the SAI and weak valve guide issues, these cars are built like a brick. Find a well-loved car with the top end already done and you're golden. The GT1 engine is bullet proof on and off the track and I'm sure guys with more track experience can chime in with their notes.

Last edited by Wilder; 05-08-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon:

993's in "relatively stock configuration" are fairly bomb proof for track work. I was speaking with one of our local racing wrenches this week, and he told me that even turbo race motors are good for hundreds of hours. He said he loved them for their durability.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your input everyone; and a big thanks to DaveM for that image, that is exactly the info i was looking for.

I still need to think it over. The 951 is so close to 'finished' that it seems stupid to quit now.. just need to install the suspension really and finish off a few other things while 'i am in there'. I feel like i may be better off just finishing it and see how i feel about selling it next year. I know i am going to lose money on this either way, but hell i didnt get into cars to make a profit!

Quick Reply: Newbie 993 questions