Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who owned your car before you? Mine are bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

A doctor in NJ to 45K miles and an architect in CT to 120K miles. And if my 11 year old son has his way, he'll be the 4th owner somewhere in the neighborhood of 200K miles. Still have not found that second key that he hid shortly after delivery.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine! Google is great.
http://www.fightingforyou.com/deborah-truhowsky/
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Sketchy-looking dude.

Andreas
I actually called him. His home number hadn't changed since he bought the car. I asked if he was there, the voice said, "No" then "What is this regrarding?" I told him I was trying to find any old records for the car. Again, the voice who claimed he wasn't him (yeah, right) said, "Any records probably went with the car." So much for the friendly reminiscing about the old Porshce.

Just another long-ago discarded bangle to him.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Facilities manager for Penske racein, and yes, he did once pick up Roger at the Philadelphia airport in my car (back when Penske was still in Reading, PA). I think they'd both be proud of what I've done to this former garage queen.

Last edited by ninjabones; 05-04-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
I actually called him. His home number hadn't changed since he bought the car. I asked if he was there, the voice said, "No" then "What is this regrarding?" I told him I was trying to find any old records for the car. Again, the voice who claimed he wasn't him (yeah, right) said, "Any records probably went with the car." So much for the friendly reminiscing about the old Porshce.

I've always preferred to deal with these things in writing. Email or regular mail. A cold phone call can be intimidating.

One of the previous owners of my RSA was a teacher in a college I spent a year in (I found that later on). When I was removing the stock seats to install the Recaros I found an envelope with a 34¢ stamp on it and his return address. I mailed it back to him and introduced myself. Then he was super friendly and gave me a bunch of info on the car that I couldn't have put together through receipts only.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm the second owner, the first was a lawyer in CT.
I guess that qualifies him as a bad PO.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

First owner is a pediatrician in TX (longest years/miles owner). Tracked him down via owners manual and Google. Sent him a letter letting him know I had the car and if he could share any history I'd be interested. A few weeks later he called me and we chatted for 40+ minutes. Lots of good details about why he purchased it and how he drove it, a real car guy.

Owner number two MIA (CarFax wasn't enough detail to connect the dots). Tried following up via CarFax dealer service record, no go with sharing of info from dealer (which I understand).

Owner number 3 was a produce wholesaler in Chicago, talked with him on the phone (6AM Chicago time, he gets up real early) real nice guy, but only had the car a short while and trade it in on a BMW.

Last owner, me.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdude

I called up the previous owner of my car (I'm the second owner and bought it direct from an auto broker who had picked it up from the dealer where the owner had traded it in on a new 997.) All the original paperwork including the VMI from the dealer where he had it serviced was with the car.

He talked at length about the car and Porsches in general. It was reassuring to me that he was not only a decent guy but respected Porsches, and had taken care of the car. He is a long time PCA member (the car has a 25 year member PCA sticker on it.)

He seemed happy that I called and that I was the new owner.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:14 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 422 Posts

I'm the 4th owner. The two prior to myself are Rennlisters as well although I found the car on Autotrader and wasn't aware of this place until a year or so after my purchase in late 2004.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a 993, but the previous owner of mine is a race engineer with the Force India F1 team! Before that a couple of owners in Germany and one in Italy. The car's now living in France after about 8 years in the UK, so she's well travelled!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 570 Posts

Stockbroker from San Clemente CA.
He appreciated the aesthetics, (he told me that he would often sit and have a cocktail as he watched the car "change colors" at sunset), but little to no enthusiasm for driving / wrenching.

I first saw the car at a local P car dealer. I was riding by and saw the car in the lot where he had stopped to buy a new key fob.

Destiny?
Serendipity?

whatever, I'm happy.

Craig
Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 PM
96_993TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First owner was the founder of the board game Cranium. Second owner is an exec at Microsoft who I purchased the car from directly. I'm the 3rd owner...
Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

993 #1) investment banker
993 #2) PCA DE instructor
993 #3) well-known RLer
993 #4) car collector
Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

second owner. Purchased from a gay rich head hunter. Gay rich Richard was what we called him. He ordered a 08 997s in black with black leather with red stitching. He promised to sell that car to me when he was tired of it. Unfortunately he had a heart attack and passed. The 997 got repossessed.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Ordered new by a guy in Malibu who owns a chain of fitness clubs. He had it for 6 years and I think that it was mainly driven by his girlfriend. Second owner was an real estate investor who only had the car for a few weeks. Third owner owns Long Beach Yamaha. He only had the car for a couple of months as he ended up with a C2S instead. Problem is he traded out my sports seats with crests for the standard seats from his C2S. I think he also swapped rear sway bars as I found that I didn't have the 20mm M030 that I was supposed to have but instead had an 18mm bar.

Fourth owner for the past 6 years - me!

Quick Reply: Who owned your car before you? Mine are bad