Sponsored by:

Turquoise Metallic K1K1 L25D

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 AM
lizSter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turquoise Metallic K1K1 L25D

I have a Turquoise Metallic 1996 Porsche C2 Coupe. Does any one else have this colour? Have you ordered touch-up paint from someone like paintscratch.com? I'm hoping that someone else with my colour has ordered paint from one of the online places. I simply want to paint my bumperettes!

Here's my long story:

My window sticker shows the option for the external colour as K1K1. My option sticker under the hood shows a colour code of L25D.

My Porsche dealer ran a report on my VIN and it shows: Exterior Paint Color K1K1

Paintscratch.com site shows two separate colours for K1 and 25D:
Turquoise Green Metallic Clearcoat 25C/K1
Blue Turquoise Metallic Clearcoat 25D

Paintscratch guy is telling me to order the 25C/K1 colour. He says "K1, 25C and 26C as all the same colour". But when I asked "what about 25D?", he says to contact Porsche (which I already have). I've ordered paint thru them before to paint my Boxster's bumperettes and they came out great. But they sure don't seem very helpful this time around.

I know the online chip thumbnails can be deceiving but it sure looks like my colour is closer to their 25D then the 25C/K1.

Someone on a diff forum wrote:
"25C and 25D are the same color. If you look at Porsche color codes, you'll notice that 993-era colors have three color codes: one two-digit code, and two three-digit codes. Depending on the country, either oil-based or water-based paints were offered. The two-digit code is the option code. You'd order option K1 "Turquoise metallic", and depending on the country, you'd wind up with either 25C (oil-based) or 25D (water-based)."

Any ideas?

Last edited by lizSter; 05-15-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Augustus Davies

can't help you with your question....but I must say, what a beautiful colour!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
jdlocke
AutoX

Default K1K1

Hi,
I just bought a '96 tt in the same color. Were you able to come up with a definitive answer?
THanks,
Justin
Old 10-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
can't help you with your question....but I must say, what a beautiful colour!
I won't disagree !!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
hodmandod
Advanced

I have a similar color, but it is a one off, for which the PO paid over 4000 for. I would have an experienced paint supplier or shop check the color with their machine, kind of like a camera

Cheers

Philip.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
jdlocke
AutoX

Default Same color!

Window sticker says K1K1 Turquoise Metallic. Great color but I am not an impartial judge!
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Send your bumperettes to Eric at www.bumperplugs.com
He paints bumperettes, sample pics are on his website, and does a perfect match to the OEM paint codes.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:19 AM
jnicol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same colour: L25D under the hood. Looks the same as the above pics. I ordered touch up from the Porsche Dealer. They could not find L25D and asked for my VIN. They ordered the paint from Germany and what I received was L25C. A little concerned I looked into it further and found that the 'D' is apparently the water based version.... which I am guessing cannot be applied correctly in touch up form, hence the L25C which is the same paint but not water based. (according to Porsche 993 The Essential Companion by Adrian Streather... the difference between these two paint codes is make up and not colour). I have since used it and the match is perfect.

So, go with the L25C, IMO based on my experience.
The following users liked this post:
RockstarBruski (08-24-2021)
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 AM
dapper
Intermediate

My UK 993 Coupe is the same colour, sticker in engine bay states L25D. It is Turquoise Green (can't recall exactly but the sticker says something like 'Turkische Greune'. I also need a touch up to sort out a couple of stone chips. I haven't ordered any yet as I'm pretty sure due to the widespread misunderstanding surrounding L25D, touched on by this thread, that if I order I would be sent the Turquoise Blue instead.

I was told by OPC that they can't supply a touch up stick for this colour. I read somewhere recently that only 4 x 993 cars in this colour were registered in the UK in 1996, so I can quite see why no dealer was going to stock touch up sticks!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 AM
jnicol
Instructor

I think the misunderstanding comes from this colour being both green AND blue, depending on the angle. I'd say it was blue with a green metallic flake. However.... according to the code, and Adrian Streather's book... it is "Blue turquoise metallic". My sticker on the side of the front trunk says "turkish green" (or something like that, I am not looking at it right now. The L25C paint chip package from "Porsche" says "teale" on it. In any case, they are all the same colour. If you are worried, try a spec in an inconspicuous area like under the front bumper.

EDIT: The touch up paint doesn't say teale but rather 'teile' or German for 'part'. And the paint colour is 'Turkis met 25C', again consulting the German/English dictionary, Turkis = turquoise.

Last edited by jnicol; 10-20-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: error
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM
dapper
Intermediate

jnicol,

There is most definitely a separate colour called 'Blue Turquoise', it's nothing like the colour above.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Originally Posted by dapper
jnicol,

There is most definitely a separate colour called 'Blue Turquoise', it's nothing like the colour above.
Yes, the key difference being 'metallic'.
'Blue turquoise' to my eyes looks like an aqua, and 'Blue turquoise metallic' is the above colour.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Turquoise green

Turquoise blue
Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 AM
jnicol
Instructor

Note: I clarified my post above. Colour on the touch up paint OEM from Porsche is Turkis Met 25C, and consulting the dictionary tells me turkis = turquoise. No green or blue in there.

I think part of the problem is no colour was added before the turquoise... so people are adding the blue or green in on their own. Looking more closely at this I believe it shakes out like this:

Turquoise Metallic 25C and 25D (which is the greenish hue metallic above... but no blue or green in the actual description)
Blue Turquoise 3AR and 3AS (which is more blue and not metallic)

To further complicate, a quick search online shows one outfit selling 25C as "turquoise GREEN' and all three 25D, 3AS and 3AR as Turquoise Blue. But I am quite certain that the 25C and 25D are the same, just the D is water based, the C is acrylic based.

Sorry if I am beating this to death... just trying to help the OP get the answer. Which again is, if your car is the same colour as those above, as mine is, the 25C from Porsche, which cost me $20, works.
The following users liked this post:
RockstarBruski (08-24-2021)
Old 10-20-2010, 05:26 AM
dapper
Intermediate

On my inner wing label is the following information "25D 9 4" then below this is "TUERKISGRUEN METALLIC"

So for records the description of the colour in the case of my vehicle (so I would think many others) is not just Turquoise and metallic, it does include the word Green (albeit in combination with the word Turquoise and written in German).

My OPC was provided this info, plus my chassis/VIN and they say the colour in a touch up stick is unavailable from them.

Quick Reply: Turquoise Metallic K1K1 L25D