Door panel cardboard and plastic barrier

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Door panel cardboard and plastic barrier

I took off my driver's door panel and the cardboard at the bottom center appears to be in pretty atrocious shape. Is there a replacement available short of buying the entire panel? The midnight blue vinyl is in great shape.

Also, the clear plastic water barrier is broken around the large speaker opening. The car had Hi-Fi enclosures, I'm taking them out to put 6.5" woofers in. Should the plastic be unbroken behind the speaker to protect it, or does it not matter? If it should, where can I get that plastic?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some door panels for sale over at the bird site.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rior-bits.html
You could easily re-dye them to your color. They also are the standard, not hi-fi cutouts.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug, could you please send me a pic of the back side of the panels? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by marble pulls. Are the actual handles marble instead of classic? Or just the middle insert part? It looks like latter from the pictures.

What's the difference between standard and Hi-Fi cutouts, I wonder? i can probably figure it out once I see a good pic of the back.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

The door cards, pulls and handles are the darker gray and the insert piece is the light gray. I purchased a whole interior to get seats and I ended up doing a 2 tone. I can't remember the exact difference, but the cards were different in the speaker cut out area. My car has the hi-fi and that is why I stuck with my original panels and went 2 tone. PM me your email and I can shoot a picture tomorrow of the rear of the panels.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, after further investigation, the passenger panel is perfectly fine (Doug, this doesn't affect our discussion ). The driver panel had water under it and the bottom 2-3" of the carboard panel are not their anymore in any solid form.

I'm looking at PET and trying to figure out how Porsche sells these things. I see part number 993.555.031.01 as a door trim panel leatherette. I can't figure out if this includes cardboard backing or just the leatherette material to stretch over cardboard. And, really, what the cardboard part number is as this is what I need. Or else some way to repair mine, which I don;t think is really possible.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

My pass. side was the same way. I went to a local auto upholstery shop and they made me a new card from my old one. It ran me $70 for them to disassemble the panel (I brought it to them off the car), make a template and reassemble. Worked like a champ.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:08 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, I'm thinking of possibly doing the same. What did they make your panel out of?

I also have another set of doors coming that I ought today. The option there is to swap my vinyl and other parts onto a good door card. Sounds like both options would be about the same amount of labor.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nile13
.......The driver panel had water under it and the bottom 2-3" of the carboard panel are not their anymore in any solid form.
..........some way to repair mine, which I don;t think is really possible.
Had the same issue, Mike. It is possible to repair https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...embalming.html But probably easier to replace so long as you dont mind ending up with the same useless soggy MDF board mess when it gets soaked, again.

Last edited by Sean Hamilton; 04-29-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: web link added
Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sean, thanks!

The used door card I've bought from Doug here would probably become a donor for my driver's side panel (my passenger side is OK). I also ordered the new water barrier plastic from Sunset, surprisingly it was only $34, so might as well replace the old one. i hope this is an easier way than repairing my old panel that seems pretty much gone.

Quick Reply: Door panel cardboard and plastic barrier