Do you need a 962 pwrd Speedster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by air eater
You are kidding? Right?
Butt-*** ugly and would only be the center for lots of jokes in my circle of Porsche driving friends.
Pimp my Ride! Pimp my Ride!
Ya ... similar to pimp my ride. I am impressed with some of the stuff they pull off but I wouldn't be seen in most of it. The difference with this car is I would like to see it and drive it. I wouldn't own it.

Kidding about what? That I am impressed that they could fit a 962 engine and 935 suspension in a 911 speedster and make it function? I don't know anything about Canepa except what I read in the linked article. If he drove this open car 200mph I suspect he's a bit off. But you don't have to like the looks to appreciate the project for what it is. Keep in mind that this was done in 1989, the era of the slantnose. Commisioned by a guy with a lot of money who isn't a Porsche enthusiast. Maybe it should be looked in this context?

Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
Kidding about what? That I am impressed that they could fit a 962 engine and 935 suspension in a 911 speedster and make it function?
Old friend of mine put a 935 engine in a '67 912, and ran it successfully in POC for overall race wins/top time in time trials in the early '90's. Didn't use the upsidedown gearbox though. That car is truly the only MFI car that I was of no help with.................

Granted, a race car isn't a street car.

And if anyone is still beating the drum of Gary Primm not being a car enthusiast, go search him out.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

HoggeL-- Hope your fam's doing very well, especially your new baby kiddo addition!
Originally Posted by hoggel

Do you need a 962 pwrd Speedster?
Dunno if I need it, but I know this thread need some pics of this unique beast, since the previously-posted photo links have died:

From "What Happens In Vegas… 1989 962 Powered Porsche Speedster for Sale" (no affiliation)
A 1989 Porsche Speedster powered by a 962 drive train has come out of hiding. This car, built in the late 80′s graced the pages of several enthusiast magazines. Since that time is has kept a very low profile having covered less than 2k miles. Like many of the best things from the 80′s (A-Team, Exile on Main Street, Voltron) it has emerged from its slumber and is offered for sale.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:20 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From Flat6 Magazine "Canepa's 962 Powered Porsche Speedster" article:

Originally Posted by Bruce Anderson

In the last issue we had the ANDIAL Carrera 4 with the water cooled 962 engine and now we have another contender for the ultimate street hot-rod, a 1989 Porsche Speedster with an IMSA version of the 962 engine installed. We actually have a number of good Porsche tuners in the United States and one of these tuners is an old friend of mine Bruce Canepa, of Canepa Design in Santa Cruz, California. Canepa has just finished a 1989 Porsche Speedster that may just be the ultimate street hot rod Porsche.

Last edited by curve lover; 12-08-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From Pelican Parts Forum's "ANDIAL open house" thread:

Originally Posted by Quicksilver

scary fast car...
Here Larry is figuring out how he can do this to his SC

the surprise inside...

That is a Jerry Woods built 962 stuffed into the back of the car! (If more is better then too much is just right...)

Quick Reply: Do you need a 962 pwrd Speedster?