Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Canvas Top Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 AM
avslash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chet
I have a lot of pics, but I'm going to need to resize them. They are each over 1 m right now. I also took a lot of notes of what I was doing.

I bought a rivet tool to replace 4 small rivets. I didn't have one before this.
Shoot me those pics, and I'll happily resize.

Very interested in your progress and thoughts. I'm the same way. Certainly I would like to have the cash to spend on other mods/toys, but mostly I derive lots of enjoyment/pride/therapy from accomplishing most things on the car myself.

Maybe we could combine what you did and your notes and pictures with mine, if I end up doing it, to create a comprehensive DIY for the future.

Anxiously awaiting. YOu might just be the motivation I need to attempt this...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by avslash
Shoot me those pics, and I'll happily resize.

Very interested in your progress and thoughts. I'm the same way. Certainly I would like to have the cash to spend on other mods/toys, but mostly I derive lots of enjoyment/pride/therapy from accomplishing most things on the car myself.

Maybe we could combine what you did and your notes and pictures with mine, if I end up doing it, to create a comprehensive DIY for the future.

Anxiously awaiting. YOu might just be the motivation I need to attempt this...
I would love to see them too. It is very encouraging to hear about the DIY. Yes, everyone wants to save a few dollars here and there, but more than that, I like getting into things and learning about them--just afraid of messing this up by not knowing what to do.

Thanks!

Avslash-where are you located?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:11 PM
avslash
Advanced

Originally Posted by BSL
I would love to see them too. It is very encouraging to hear about the DIY. Yes, everyone wants to save a few dollars here and there, but more than that, I like getting into things and learning about them--just afraid of messing this up by not knowing what to do.

Thanks!

Avslash-where are you located?
Houston, Texas area. Specifically, Katy, TX on the west side of town. If any Rennlister's are local to me and have experience or want to share beers and take on this project, let me know.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by avslash
Houston, Texas area. Specifically, Katy, TX on the west side of town. If any Rennlister's are local to me and have experience or want to share beers and take on this project, let me know.
Too bad it is a bit too far for a top replacement party...
Old 04-23-2010, 04:15 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by chet
I have a lot of pics, but I'm going to need to resize them. They are each over 1 m right now.
Microsoft has a program that allows you to resize one or many image files
with a right-click. I use it, it works slick. Select all the photos to resize and right click.

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Direct Download of Image Resizer
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe
Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 PM
chet
Instructor

Now I find out (actually I haven't looked at the resizing tool yet). I resized about 50 of them one at a time last night. It only took a few clicks each though. I tried to create a handful of pictures from the multitude with each containing several related pics. I am trying right now to upload them to photoshop.com. I haven't ever used that before, (plus I was out drinking this afternoon) so we'll see what happens.

I didn't get any pictures of the completed project until this morning, and I selected them for upload before resizing them, so it's taking a while.

I don't want everybody to automatically write off doing their own cab top replacement. I have some wrinkles, but I haven't had a chance yet to start trying to get them out. Once I figure out how to send you guys to the site with the uploaded pictures, I will post.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if near l.a. -------------------------------------> levon IS the man (for tops & interiors). no aff'l yadda ya...

& remember a diy gone wrong cost ya more than simply getting an expert. imho i would not venture diy w/ the top.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 PM
chet
Instructor

http://chetdiii.photoshop.com

I've got some pictures there that show where I stand right now.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
chet
Instructor

After spending a couple of hours yesterday morning trying to just work on the rear portion of the top without detaching everything else, I ended up taking everything back apart and pulling the canvas loose. I also realized that I should have put the top together in the first place by getting the curved area in the back sorted before gluing anything else.

I got sidetracked by some other things, so I haven't put it back together yet. This time though, I'm leaving the main part of the top frame attached to the car. The clamp that runs around the bottom of the back of the top (from the back of one door to the other) fastens to the car frame but isn't attached to the front part of the top frame. The rest is pretty straight forward, so I think if I can just get that part stretched a little better, it will end up OK. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 PM
chet
Instructor

I finally got back to work on my top this weekend and I'm much happier with the result. There are still some imperfections, but it looks considerably better than it did after the first attempt last weekend.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:39 PM
avslash
Advanced

Thanks for the update.

I've looked through the pictures of your progress. Please post an update wen you consider yourself "done".

Good Luck. I'm still staring at my replacement top in the box in the garage.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 PM
chet
Instructor

The pics I posted today are probably as good as it's going to get. I put off putting on the studs and snaps for the boot until I stopped messing with the fit, so I still need to do that, but other than that I think I'm going to leave it like it is.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 AM
avslash
Advanced

Just looked at the latet pics.

Looks pretty doggone good to me. If that wrinkle on the passenger side is your biggest issue, I'd say you did alright for a first time.

I don't think I ever asked before. Did you replace the headliner at the same time??
Old 05-03-2010, 02:10 AM
jan the man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chet good Job, I am looking at replacing mine this fall. Where did you get the top from? And on the old 1-10 scale how difficult was it.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 AM
chet
Instructor

I was planning on (still am, it just might take a week or two to get around to ) writing up the diy in case there are others that want to consider replacing a top themselves. When I just look back at the steps, it isn't really terribly hard to do. But the trick is in getting the fit right, and in deciding how close to a perfect fit is right for you. And in deciding how much of a risk you're willing to take on not being able to satisfy yourself with the job you've done.

I got my top from Rich and Famous. $450

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Canvas Top Replacement