Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

CA C2S title with no mileage. Will the DMV reissue one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Stuttgarter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CA C2S title with no mileage. Will the DMV reissue one?

I recently bought a 1997 C2S from out of state. It is a low mileage example, 18K, and I paid a premium for it. The CA DMV sent me my title and there is no mileage on it. I would really like to maintain the public record of the low mileage as I believe it adds to the cars value. Is there any way I can get the DMV to reissue a title with the mileage stated?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a title never states the mileage for a car over 10 years old.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

944/951guy is correct. CA DMV doesn't list the mileage of cars over ten years old. However, when I bought my turbo and brought it in from Texas, California DMV did list the mileage on the title. I am guessing it is whoever is entering it in the system. If you have a AAA membership go there and ask for a new title with the mileage on it. They may do it for you; DMV definitely won't. If it helps any, Carfax should pick up the mileage when you smog the car for the transfer. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Stuttgarter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
944/951guy is correct. CA DMV doesn't list the mileage of cars over ten years old. However, when I bought my turbo and brought it in from Texas, California DMV did list the mileage on the title. I am guessing it is whoever is entering it in the system. If you have a AAA membership go there and ask for a new title with the mileage on it. They may do it for you; DMV definitely won't. If it helps any, Carfax should pick up the mileage when you smog the car for the transfer. Good luck.
Are you sure the DMV will not reissue the title with the mileage? I called to complain that there was no mileage on the title and they set up an appointment for me for tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stuttgarter
Are you sure the DMV will not reissue the title with the mileage? I called to complain that there was no mileage on the title and they set up an appointment for me for tomorrow.
No I am not.... good deal. I just have little faith in DMV. I hope they prove me wrong.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:05 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to echo Chuck, try the AAA first. Nothing good ever comes from the CA DMV.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Stuttgarter
Intermediate

So, I called first to confirm that even though my car was 10+ years old, they could add the mileage to the tile. I had made an appointment weeks ago. I showed up and filled out a form. My new title, with mileage, should arrive in 2 to 4 weeks. No charge. I was out the door in 15 minutes. This story has a happy ending.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stuttgarter
This story has a happy ending.
Good deal. I love it when I am wrong!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, hey Chuck!! You available this weekend? My buddy, (the guy that started this thread) and I are going for a drive through the hills Saturday morning. He's driving his C2s down from NorCal to stay with us. Let me know if you're around...He would love to see your turbo...
Old 04-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P1CR
Oh, hey Chuck!! You available this weekend? My buddy, (the guy that started this thread) and I are going for a drive through the hills Saturday morning. He's driving his C2s down from NorCal to stay with us. Let me know if you're around...He would love to see your turbo...
Sorry, I am booked this weekend.

Quick Reply: CA C2S title with no mileage. Will the DMV reissue one?