Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires are Kumho Ecsta SPT 275-35-18
treadwear: 320
traction: AA
temperature: A

After acquiring the car I completely disassembled the suspension, cleaned and inspected all parts, replaced any part that was suspect, and had all the hardware yellow zinc plated. All eccentric adjusters fit as they should.

Pictures are of left rear tire, right rear tire, and an undercarriage shot.

Let me know what you guys think...
Attached Images    
Old 04-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It just goes to show that you never know who you are talking to on the Internet! I had no idea you had done so much work. Forgive me if any of my posts seemed to remedial. Given the great work you have already done, I go back to my original thought which is to seek out the advice of an expert with the right tools.

The 993 LSA rear subframe is not really tricky it just requires some specific knowledge and experience that very few people have or ever had. The 993 just wasn't around very long and had a very short racing career.

There are people in Atlanta who can help you. There is also a fantastic racing shop in Charleston, SC--Autometrics Motorsport. They have the tools, the knowledge and the experience to resolve any of these kinds of issues. Ask for Gordon or Cory. It is a long drive for sure but well worth it in my opinion.

HTH,
Hank

Last edited by Hank Cohn; 04-18-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Corrected name of Autometrics
Old 04-18-2010, 05:33 PM
aribop
Race Car

No problem, Hank. I appreciate all of the good input and great suggestions.

The best way to find the experts and people in the know are from people that have already found them.

Unfortunately one cannot just look in the yellow pages and find this unique type of expertise.

to all!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
and another vote for KT neglect by the previous shops.

always ask to see the KT gauge...
And if they don't have one, we know a guy who has them. And they come with instructions
Instructions???????

I didn't get no stinkn instructions!!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

It's only a data point, but I've had my 95 aligned a couple of times and they've never touched the KT. I'm getting more than 20K out of Potenza 760 sports now. The shop I use is more expensive and they don't use a fancy alignment machine - but they take a lot of care to get the suspension settled and check for slop in the suspension before starting. They show me the factory specs and then go over what I want.

I have a feeling there are shops that buy expensive Hunters thinking they can train monkeys to do an alignment, but then they forget the details - or maybe don't even calibrate the equipment as required.

Aribop, the toe changes a lot with suspension change - I will bet you a cup of coffee when they check you're running a little more camber than stock and way too much toe.

dave
Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Instructions???????

I didn't get no stinkn instructions!!
ruh roh.. sorry!
You've got mail
Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black ice
It's only a data point, but I've had my 95 aligned a couple of times and they've never touched the KT. I'm getting more than 20K out of Potenza 760 sports now. The shop I use is more expensive and they don't use a fancy alignment machine - but they take a lot of care to get the suspension settled and check for slop in the suspension before starting. They show me the factory specs and then go over what I want.

I have a feeling there are shops that buy expensive Hunters thinking they can train monkeys to do an alignment, but then they forget the details - or maybe don't even calibrate the equipment as required.

Aribop, the toe changes a lot with suspension change - I will bet you a cup of coffee when they check you're running a little more camber than stock and way too much toe.

dave
Dave, you are one of the lucky ones...

The KT isn't always out of whack but it definitely needs to be checked when alignment is done.
There certainly could be other alignment issues that would scrub rubber as shown in aribop's pic
Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark it's probably a supplier issue

Albert, sorry for the quick hijack but for the price of the gauge I thought it was money well spent and if nothing else I can check K-toe as I change out bushing's and stuff to get my suspension looking more like yours

Good luck on getting it aligned and if you don't mind please post before and after numbers if you can get them.

Thanks,
Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 PM
aribop
Race Car

Mark,
Does the tool come with the round allen head bolts or can it be used with the regular hex head that are on the calipers?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by aribop
....... disassembled the suspension, cleaned and inspected all parts, replaced any part that was suspect, and had all the hardware yellow zinc plated. All eccentric adjusters fit as they should.
Impressive! The devil is in the details! And a zinc coat refurbish no doubt. I’m jealous, seriously! Just may have to follow suit!
I too look after our cars undercarriage however it’s limited by the cleaning effect of Simple Green and a few hours…

I'd searched around a few years ago taking a flyer on Kinetic Motor Sports in Buford, GA. Here's a link: http://www.kssmotorsports.com - navigate to their Speed Shop section which is relative more to our road car service needs. My 993s alignment has never driven better, EVER! The alignment cost was pricey as I recall though worth every penny. The aligment has been *****-on for the past 10k miles. Recently installed a set of Michelin PS2s for the 1st time, nice tire!

When speaking (2007) with Alan (German Car Repair, Roswell, GA) regarding an alignment for the 993 he mentioned Kinetic Motorsports in Buford, GA which for me confirmed that Kinetic's was a -go-to-shop for a 993 alignment. No new car P-car dealerships for my time and money.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 02-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a similar gauge as the one shown in Post #19. The general rule with that gauge is the smallest number you can get on both sides. Makes sense? If left is 5 and right is 4 then set both to 5. You'll have to recheck Camber and Toe after each adjustment.

Hank
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aribop
Mark,
Does the tool come with the round allen head bolts or can it be used with the regular hex head that are on the calipers?
This version is pretty cool... It slips over the exisiting bolts using o-rings to keep it snug. The o-rings are integrated into the tool.
Pic courtesy of Mr. Walrod
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
He built a 993 RS Replica for me as well and is very familiar with the platform.

HTH,
Hank
Hank, i might be late to the party, but are you the former owner of the sweet SY RS clone that was featured in Excellence ~ 2 years ago?

If so, hat must have been a difficult car to let go of.

Since many of us would consider trading / selling our cars only for a GT3, (hyperbole alert) :-) .

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the differences between your RS clone and the 996 GT3 ownership experience.

Cheers

Craig
Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM
FranzBlamRacing
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll check with Franz and see what he suggests.

-FBR
Old 04-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Craig,

That was my car. I sold it to purchase a 997 GT3 which was great. I traded that for a 996 GT3. It was hard to let the RS Replica go as it truly was a labor of love. I don't want to threadjack more than I already have but would be happy to PM you about it.

Hank

Quick Reply: Alignment WOES in Atlanta