Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default silver crest

ordered my leather airbag with the silver crest (no mod needed):
Attached Images     
Old 04-12-2010, 01:51 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time I am in town I will have to look you KS guys up. I grew up in Leawood and graduated from Washburn University in Topeka. Go CHIEFS!!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche Fan
ordered my leather airbag with the silver crest (no mod needed):
I love that red/black interior...is your exterior color black, silver or white?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larpy
Next time I am in town I will have to look you KS guys up. I grew up in Leawood and graduated from Washburn University in Topeka. Go CHIEFS!!
just let us know when you're coming
Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Ballpark is 1 9/16" x 1 1/8". Shaft removed and on its lay to a marble base for a paperweight!
Mark, thanks! Is this thing flat or curved? Where did you buy it? Seems to be the right size for a center cap.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
timabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Mark. I was going to stick a silver crest on my new Atiwe steering wheel (I don't have the cutout on my airbag), but Karl told me I would be banished from the KCWS, ridiculed, made fun of, and generally shunned by him and everyone he knows.

Sounds like a good trade to me.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
fwiw, it's not just Porsche owners trying to do this sort of switch with wheel badges. Check out just about every car forum and you see the same thing and same issues.

About 6 months ago I asked my mechanic about finding a silver crest. He told me the OEM one is riveted on because of federal regulations. All badges are either riveted or use metal tabs, etc., and not glued. And if you search around on other forums, it's the same thing: they are not easy to remove because they aren't just glued on. (e.g., http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/sho...Badges-Emblems)

Apparently you do risk the possibility of the emblem becoming a projectile. Hopefully, no one here will ever have to test this in real life.

I personally wouldn't do it. But that's just me.

Regulations (patent office) for airbag manufacturing:

Airbags are provided in vehicles to protect the occupants in the event of a vehicle crash. It is desirable to retain the integrity of airbag module components, such as a cover (sometimes referred to as a deployment door), an emblem, and/or other decorative features placed on the surface of the deployable cover, during deployment of the airbag. It is desirable to prevent any such components from becoming detached during airbag deployment due to risk of injury to vehicle occupants from the projectiles. Any features incorporated with the airbag module should have robust attachment methods to withstand deployment forces throughout various environmental conditions. Attributes that can facilitate the retention during deployment are low mass as well as flexibility of the feature.
Originally Posted by larpy
I think any modifications to an air bag is bad news. After spending the last 15 years as a critical accident investigator working hundreds of serious accidents, I can tell you a non-modified air bag can cause some real damage! Making any mods to it can be bad news! I would guess there is a reason the emblem is attached to the air bag the way it was from the factory.
I agree with the above. That glued on badge will be a projectile fired at your face if the airbag goes off. If you do this mod it might be a good idea to disconnect the airbag from firing in an accident. Bad enough getting a broken wrist from an airbag, but to loose sight in one eye is worse!
If you look at the picture:

It seems like there are small scratches where the fastener held on the original gold badge mounting pin. Something like a speed nut? or one of those stamped one-time-use star fasteners? I think you should investigate opening up the airbag and look for the fastener and see if you can get a badge that permanently attached. Then, get a silver badge with the long pin and a new speed nut.

I'm sure there are others that appreciate the monetary risk you took to make this mod, but I think you might need further investigation for a safe replacement. The effort is teaching the rest of us without the expense. thanks!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Porsche Fan
Rennlist Member

Default white

The exterior is white.

Painted the Sport Seats' backs white to tie-in the exterior.

btw, the 97 993tt is going to be for sale shortly. PM if interested.
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Fan
The exterior is white.

Painted the Sport Seats' backs white to tie-in the exterior.

btw, the 97 993tt is going to be for sale shortly. PM if interested.
That's a very nice interior. Beautiful!

Quick Reply: deleted