993 Forum 1995-1998

Kinematic clutch pedal lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
pchansen1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinematic clutch pedal lever

I'm replacing my clutch components in order to fix a sticky clutch pedal. I've ordered a new master and slave cylinder, hose and a kinematic clutch pedal lever on the recommendations of fellow R-listers. The part number in question is 993-423-519-03. The -03 of course is the third iteration if this particular part. The part I received was NOT olive but black in color and had a "3" stamped over the original "00". Is this right? The part came in a factory package with the correct part number. I'm not sure if this part is a valid "-03" or not. What do you guys think? Take a look at the pictures and see for your self.

Thanks,

Paul
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2010, 05:44 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ended up with the same part but not with a 3 stamped on top of the 0. It also came in the bag with the updated number. I contacted Sunset about it and they checked their supply and they were all marked the same. I understand the part has been modified to fix the problem - maybe an adjustment to the position of the insert. I never really found out what changed but I realized later on that because my car being a '97 it already had the updated lever and the hanging clutch was related to the Master cylinder. I put a new one in and all good.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
I ended up with the same part but not with a 3 stamped on top of the 0. It also came in the bag with the updated number. I contacted Sunset about it and they checked their supply and they were all marked the same. I understand the part has been modified to fix the problem - maybe an adjustment to the position of the insert. I never really found out what changed but I realized later on that because my car being a '97 it already had the updated lever and the hanging clutch was related to the Master cylinder. I put a new one in and all good.
I have recently driven a 98 C2S and the clutch pedal feel much lighter than my 97. It takes more force to push mine. Could I have an issue with master cylinder?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pchansen1
I'm replacing my clutch components in order to fix a sticky clutch pedal. I've ordered a new master and slave cylinder, hose and a kinematic clutch pedal lever on the recommendations of fellow R-listers. The part number in question is 993-423-519-03. The -03 of course is the third iteration if this particular part. The part I received was NOT olive but black in color and had a "3" stamped over the original "00". Is this right? The part came in a factory package with the correct part number. I'm not sure if this part is a valid "-03" or not. What do you guys think? Take a look at the pictures and see for your self.

Thanks,

Paul
It looks like the smaller bushing was replaced and a new number stamped in the lever to reflect the change. I think the bushing was the problem with the previous version. I wouldn't have a problem putting the new part in.

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
I have recently driven a 98 C2S and the clutch pedal feel much lighter than my 97. It takes more force to push mine. Could I have an issue with master cylinder?
IIRC there is an assist/return spring in the clutch pedal assembly that can be adjusted. Assuming the pressure plate and all other clutch components are the same, the difference could be in where this assist spring is adjusted. Some have tried "fixing" the kinematic lever problem by changing the tension on the spring. The correct way is by replacing the lever like the OP is doing.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
FD Motorsports
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
A more likely culprit is the slave cylinder or the clutch circuit needs to be bled
It is too often neglected

John is correct, there is a spring tension adjustment also but this is a relatively minor adjustment

MarkD

Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 AM
pchansen1
Advanced

Thanks everyone. Part will go in, in short order. Will let you know how it all works out.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM
gjones1735
Advanced

Hi Paul,

I did this DIY a few months ago. My new kinematic lever was the "03", was dark olive in color and had a little **** in the middle of it -- just like in the first picture of the kinematic lever DIY. I'm not sure the **** has anything do do with the hanging issue -- if I remember correctly, it's for the micro switch arm. The bearing is the important part. Mine was not overstamped with a "3".

It does seem a little wierd to rebuild old "00" parts when the new part is available. Also, the "03" part is the fourth iteration of the kinematic lever. The factory starts counting their parts with "00".

I believe Mark is right about the spring tension adjustment -- it only makes a difference if everything else is correct. You can feel it though.

This remains the best DIY I've done on my '95 C2. The clutch system continues to work perfectly and really makes the car a joy to drive.

George

Quick Reply: Kinematic clutch pedal lever