Sponsored by:

Color change time!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Color change time!

Nope, not on a 911 that would be a pain in the ***. Nope, not on a car where I have a concern about resale value and loss of authenticity. Yep, the Radical has been stripped nekkid and I'm going to take car of all the abuse the bodywork has taken over the past six years. AND I want to go with a color not otherwise known around these parts as "invisible". Single biggest mistake in buying that was trying to keep my theme of silver/red trim.

Obviously, you can see at left how the car looks. Or did when it was new and purrdy. Now? I'm thinking plain ol' white, then trimming it out. Is Glacier White the most vibrant of the Porsche whites? If I wander into colors, something from the IROC series days, or the bubblegum solids of the early 993s.

As with everything, I'm doing this myself, and I've not painted a car in almost 20 years. Granted, this is a bunch of fiberglass panels, but it's still doing something I avoid at almost all cost............

I'm sure someone will comment about doing a wrap, but I've not seen a price anywhere that isn't a multiple of what paint will cost me once I undertake all the effort to prep the bodywork.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:13 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC Glacier is what Porsche delivers their Cup cars in, I love a simple white paint job with black accents, the radical would look great. Doint your rollover bar in black would make the car look even lower than it is now..... We need someone with some photoshop skills to do some mockups. Post some more pics and I am sure someone will help.....

Most of the wraps are pretty expensive ($2 to $3K) and there is no comparison to doing the painting yourself.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
...As with everything, I'm doing this myself, and I've not painted a car in almost 20 years. Granted, this is a bunch of fiberglass panels, but it's still doing something I avoid at almost all cost............
White is probably the way to go then but hey its a race car. Do you have to use the water borne paints in Ca now? I hear you need very clean and dry air for the waterborne paints but then you should with any automotive paint. Access to a paint booth is nice but I just made a plastic booth in my garage and bought a big fan with a home made filter (to prime and cut in my '68 Valiant). The laws are probably a little looser around here though.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts
Default off topic...but

Originally Posted by matt777
White is probably the way to go then but hey its a race car. Do you have to use the water borne paints in Ca now? I hear you need very clean and dry air for the waterborne paints but then you should with any automotive paint. Access to a paint booth is nice but I just made a plastic booth in my garage and bought a big fan with a home made filter (to prime and cut in my '68 Valiant). The laws are probably a little looser around here though.
As a former Mopar fan-67 Barracuda, 68 Dart GTS, I'd love to see some pictures/details about the Valiant build, sounds like a hoot.

Man do I wish I still had that GTS....
Old 04-09-2010, 05:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Hey Mr. Thread Hijacker..............

Guess I have to post some nudes to get things back on topic.

As I was just stripping the interior, I thought how neat would it be to ditch the faux 333SP body and make up a wannabe RS Spyder. Would have to have enough bucks to entice my cousin though. (For the semi-annual spam to highlight his work, which I just did over on the 911 forum a couple of days ago, check out www.newhistorics.com.)
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 PM
trophy
Race Car

Got to love purpose build race cars..... I hopefully will get a chance to drive a Radical in a couple of weeks here in Calgary, I have wanted to get behind the wheel of one of those for a long time now.

doing a Spyder replica would be awesome, your cousin does some amazing work (would hat to see the bills though).

Last edited by trophy; 04-09-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
I will get a chance to drive a Radical in a couple of weeks here in Calgary, I have wanted to get behind the wheel of one of those for a long time now.
Hopefully you won't be on a short leash. Just parading around doesn't get you a thing. Obviously you can't overdrive, but you have to push it hard to get into what makes it (or any purpose built car) to work. Even though they aren't the latest-and-greatest, if they ever were, they have excellent manners and you truly have to do something stupid to get in trouble.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 PM
trophy
Race Car

Hopefully the leash will be left in the pits, I hope they will be here for our first track day in a couple of weeks......
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM
micnicholas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't ask yourself what color won't make you blue, ask yourself what blue can do for you?

<-------------------------

any questions?

actually I'm jealous no matter what color you end up with!

Quick Reply: Color change time!