Sponsored by:

Code 11 ABS Module defective

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:02 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Code 11 ABS Module defective

Car is a 97 993 C2 Cab. Installed new battery today, hooked up the Durametric software to look for codes and under ABS-5 found the code 11. I cleared it but it came right back. I have no ABS light lit on the dash.
Normally I get a bunch of codes because of low voltage etc. when battery is disconnected.
Car drives and brakes normally. I haven't slammed on it to test the ABS. It was my first day out today after 5 months break.
Looked in the forum but no such symptoms anywhere.
Before I start digging into things, maybe somebody has an idea.
Appreciate any help.
Happy Easter,
Ed
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Stuttgarter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed,

I'm a former ABS engineer. I'm not sure what is causing your problem I do know that if the ABS light is not on, your ABS is working (or thinks it is). Does your ABS light come on when you turn the key from off to run? I want to ensure the light is functioning. If the light is working and it is not lit when you drive, you should have ABS. Does the car have a prop valve or EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution). If you have EBD and the ABS is not working, the red brake light should come on, telling you to have the car towed. If the module is really defective, all the lights should come on.

Noah
Old 04-03-2010, 08:16 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Noah,
Thank you for your reply. I replaced all dash lights recently and yes, they're all working, all new. I have EBD and ABS and non of the lights come on when the engine is running. I know the light works because I had an alternator belt failure and the first light that came on was the ABS and 5 min. later the "charge" light. After I replaced the belt, the ABS light went out right after I started the engine.
I'll drive the car a few times and recheck, if the same error message is still coming up when I clear it. In the meantime, I'll find myself a nice spot and try out if the system works anyway.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Stuttgarter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed,

Try to find a icy, snowy, gravel or dusty road to avoid flat spots. Make the radio and heater fan are off so that you can try to hear the ABS pump run. Good luck.

Noah

Quick Reply: Code 11 ABS Module defective