993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint job mismatch color

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010 | 08:37 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Some places will push back a little with some excuse, just to see if you'll go away quietly. Don't waste your time trying to diagnose "why" the colors don't match. Their excuse is BS - all newer cars have some metal and some plastic panels...the industry has learned how to address this and match all the panels to be the same color. They've already admitted they don't match, and that's just not acceptable from any "reputable" shop. Hand them the keys and tell them to do it again.
Old 03-31-2010 | 08:56 PM
JimOz
Instructor

Some places will push back a little with some excuse, just to see if you'll go away quietly. Don't waste your time trying to diagnose "why" the colors don't match. Their excuse is BS - all newer cars have some metal and some plastic panels...the industry has learned how to address this and match all the panels to be the same color. They've already admitted they don't match, and that's just not acceptable from any "reputable" shop. Hand them the keys and tell them to do it again.

You didn't get what you paid for - simple as that. Money back or do it right.
Old 03-31-2010 | 09:46 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

This could be why some reputable shops don't want to repaint our cars...
Old 03-31-2010 | 10:21 PM
fullbooker
Racer

I've never heard of panels not matching on a complete paint job. Perhaps the car was not properly prepared with a uniform coat of primer before the color was applied. It's pure BS if the shop won't make it right!
Good luck!
Phil
Old 03-31-2010 | 10:44 PM
95_993
Race Car

I have never heard of that.

I am picking mine up on Friday. Bumper and fender cosmetic re-spray (filling LP holes and cleaning up a little rash).
Old 03-31-2010 | 10:52 PM
rw229
Pro

Johnny,

As others have stated there is no reason the panels shouldn't match on a full respray. The only thing I can think of is that they pulled the fenders/bumpers/hood/deck and painted them on a rack at different times.

Cactus,

Who's doing your work? I still haven't done mine.

Originally Posted by Cactus
Taking mine in tonight to have the front bumper resprayed/license plate holes filled and the sideskirts repainted/refitted......nervous!
Old 04-01-2010 | 01:47 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by Leander
This could be why some reputable shops don't want to repaint our cars...
Never heard that before. There are several high end shops in my area that work mostly on Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Benz, etc. They know owners of these cares expect excellent results and they are prepared to deliver -- at a premium price of course.
Old 04-01-2010 | 02:07 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Cactus,

Who's doing your work? I still haven't done mine.
[/QUOTE]

Horsepower Enterprises on Prince and Liberty. I'll let you know how it turns out next week.
Old 04-01-2010 | 02:28 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had an ugly little gouge on my front fender, plus a little rust on the windshield channel. Wound up painting the fender, that side door since there was a ding in it that the dentless guy couldn't pop, and the cowl. Paint came out great, but the match wasn't quite spot on in sunless daylight at the rocker panel and the rear quarter; shop took it back and blended the rear quarter better for me and painted the rocker at no charge. I also had them shoot the hood since everything else looked so much better. No quibble from the shop owner when we looked at it together. Looks fine now.

The key is usually to just be reasonable with them and look at the car together. Sunlight hides a lot of flaws, try to look at in cloudy daylight. That's when it will really show up. They should make it right for you; if they won't, hopefully you paid with a credit card and can get them involved to settle it.
Old 04-02-2010 | 12:44 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

i didnt pay anything , did it in trade.do i take it to someone else and have them match it up and actually pay? the guy is a good friend and now iam pt in one of those situations. Iam losing sleep at night becase of this. not every one can tell, but its one of those feelings you have when you had a pimple on the tip of your nose and everyone is looking at it, i feel like that even when i have a light ot on the 3rd brake light
Old 04-02-2010 | 01:11 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the body shop had been dissatisfied with the work you did for them in trade, would you have made it right for them? If you would have, then they should do the same for you.
Old 04-02-2010 | 01:17 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

true, anyone know any good places in san antonio?

Quick Reply: paint job mismatch color