Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Painted your black "plastic" rocker panels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts
Default Painted your black "plastic" rocker panels?

I mean the ones under the doors.

mine are a bit scuffed and i'm going to repaint them.
since i don't have a paint booth, i'll probably first try rattle can finish.
Any suggestions for a matte black paint that works well on plastic?

I'm trying to avoid making them look too "shiny".

Craig

ps, taking them off without breaking the clips was FUN!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I would try first. Take them off if you can. Skuff them up with some 400 to 250 grit paper. Clean them with a prep solution and let dry well. since the plastic is more porus than metal let the dry times be generous before painting.

Then get some Duplicolor bedliner in a can. This stuff is very tough for a rattle can product. Give it a couple coats and let it really set up before putting it back on the car. Key is prep and get a good sanded surface for the paint to "Bite" to and get the surface really clean so the paint will bond with the plastic.

Other option is a plastic paint and get a satin finish. Gets some plastic paint promotor to use before you apply paint.

Good luck.

By the way, I accidently got some silver overspray on mine with no prep and it was almost impossable to get off so I know your paint will stick just fine if you prep it.

Jeff
Old 03-31-2010, 12:40 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the rockers on my cab painted body color (white) when I had the car in for a bumper respray - it makes the car look lower. That area does get abused from gravel and rock chips, so I doubt that normal paint from a spray will hold up very well.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasser
Here is what I would try first. Take them off if you can.
<snip>

Then get some Duplicolor bedliner in a can. This stuff is very tough for a rattle can product.

<snip>

Other option is a plastic paint and get a satin finish. Gets some plastic paint promotor to use before you apply paint.

Good luck.

Jeff
hmmmmm the bedliners product sounds interesting, i'll shoot some test panels and see how it looks.
Thanks for the tip.
Plastic paint promoter? I'll have to look into this. I was going to use a single stage rattle can paint. Are you describing a separate product you spray on just before or just after "color coat"?

rockers are off the car.

Originally Posted by David in LA
I had the rockers on my cab painted body color (white) when I had the car in for a bumper respray - it makes the car look lower. That area does get abused from gravel and rock chips, so I doubt that normal paint from a spray will hold up very well.
Thanks David, painting them body color with a flex additive is something I'm considering.

Cheers

Craig
Old 03-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Krylon satin finish spray paint for plastic 3 years ago and it is still holding up very well but I agree - clean and sand then let dry first are all key steps to longevity.

Marc
Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Plastic paint promoter? Are you describing a separate product you spray on just before or just after "color coat"?
Look for some "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter". It comes in a spray can and I've had excellent results using it on difficult surfaces. Yes, it goes on first.

Andreas
Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Look for some "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter". It comes in a spray can and I've had excellent results using it on difficult surfaces. Yes, it goes on first.

Andreas
Yup, same one I use and its worked very well for me when painting plastics. I added gauges to my wifes excursion and the paint 4 years later is still perfect.

What you will like about the bed liner is it has a little texture because of the way it goes on. Its easy to blend and repair if you get scrapes. It just melts into itself when you need to re spray it again. It is a satin black. I did my whole race car interioir with this stuff and looks great IMO. The picture does not show the slight texture very well. Its not rough like line-x though.

I don't think you can go wrong with any option. For my car, I was going to paint mine body color to make the silver lines on the bottom of the car match up with the front spoiler but since Im adding the RSR kit I will be taking mine off and replacing and they won't be used any more.

Lets see pics of your progress which ever direction you choose.

Jeff.

Name:  GT4interior.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  90.8 KB
Name:  windownetattachment.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  96.1 KB
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Same stuff on my fiberglass window frames. held up very well to racing. My paint on the nose, not so good. Its seems to handle impace better than regular paint.

FWIW.

This pic is before I did the interior and was fitting the lexan to the car. Prepped the surface like I would for paint and then just did two to three coats of the stuff. Looks and held up awsome to its first race and like I said, if damaged its easy to touch up as well.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  69.8 KB
Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Update
i ended up sanding the rockers with 320 grit, then spraying a few coats of flat black krylon plastic specific paint.
it looks good for now, don't yet know about durability.

Craig
Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgfen
Update
i ended up sanding the rockers with 320 grit, then spraying a few coats of flat black krylon plastic specific paint.
it looks good for now, don't yet know about durability.

Craig
If you used the Krylon FUSION for Plastic paint it should hold up extremely well. It seems to actually bond or fuse to the plastic rather than simply coat it. Great product.

If you end up wanting an even less glossy or flatter flat black there is an "ultra" flat black that is part of the Krylon FUSION "camoflage" paint set available at Checker/Obrien's auto parts and other auto stores. That color is great for painting wheel center caps for example.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try the Krylon Fusion, but if you want to try bedliner, Herculiner roll on is a ton more durable. I have my jeep interior done in it and it's great.

Quick Reply: Painted your black "plastic" rocker panels?