Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Check out my $50 Custom AC Hyd. JK Stands!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Uh, I guess. 30 years with every type of stand imaginable, and I've never had an issue. Your safety is a result of your own preparation. (Ratchet jackstands holding up my 8500 lb trailer to do a brake/wheel bearing service and mount up some new tires today.)
That's fine so disregard my statement about ratchet jackstands. I really didn't do any testing but just went by what a bunch of people said on the internet
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 AM
kbc993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a jack stand that allows you to jack up the car with a standard floor jack using the factory jacking location, place the jack stand in the same location, and then remove the jack. The car ends up resting on the factory jack pad on a fixed jack stand. Works very nice!
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

fnckr - You can't see it in the picture but the center of the puck is NOT supported - what is under the puck is the typical "V" shape. The pucks are held in place by the weight of the car - I suppose you could call it Gravity Attached. I might attach them using a countersunk nut/bolt and threading them into the jack stands.

Regarding the safety of the ratchet mechanism - I'm with Pcarhombre, I specifically purchased the "High Lift" version of these jack stands so that I don't have to use the ratchet mechanism at all. The car sits at between 14 and 15 inches. High enough for most applications.

I take safety very seriously - am I missing something here? My biggest concern is that this is earthquake country and the car could slip during a seismic event so I put the removed tire under the car as well as leaving the jack in an upright, closed position (but not under any load).

If anyone has any other safety suggestions I honestly welcome them... I just thought spending $400 on jack stands was a bit much - perhaps I'll get them in the future, they are very nice.

Regards, Peter
Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by pcasirag
Made you look!
Glad I did! Would appreciate more puck pictures please?!
Thank you for sharing this idea with us.
Udo
Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

I wish I could take credit for the puck idea but other Rennlisters gave me the idea! This is one big circle of love!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just my 2c and gut/engineering feel....

I'd be a little careful with the hockey pucks since you are not supporting the centers. Here's why....I've see a hockey puck crack from being used under the engine case (on the center seam near the back), when it was used on a jack (to protect the engine and jack). This was a jack with a very flat pad, so good distribution of force. Yes, a lot of force on a small area, however that's what you might end up with since your puck is only supported by the two sides and not the center. My biggest worry would be the puck moving slightly, causing the car to slip.

As an owner of the Esco stands, I will say they really are awesome. I never liked the shifting the Pcar will do on the "regular" stands (which are really made for use on an axle or similar and not the flat jack pads we've got), especially raising and lowering.

my 2c, YMMV.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
future
Banned

Easy to modify a set of these for jack/axle stands which are very cheap for a perfect fit:

They twist 90 degrees and lock in place into your p-cars factory jack points: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JACK-PAD-PORSC...item2305d8744e <-- No affiliation but about the same price as your $50 Hockey puks and made for the job
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Just my 2c and gut/engineering feel....

I'd be a little careful with the hockey pucks since you are not supporting the centers. Here's why....I've see a hockey puck crack from being used under the engine case (on the center seam near the back), when it was used on a jack (to protect the engine and jack). This was a jack with a very flat pad, so good distribution of force. Yes, a lot of force on a small area, however that's what you might end up with since your puck is only supported by the two sides and not the center. My biggest worry would be the puck moving slightly, causing the car to slip.

As an owner of the Esco stands, I will say they really are awesome. I never liked the shifting the Pcar will do on the "regular" stands (which are really made for use on an axle or similar and not the flat jack pads we've got), especially raising and lowering.

my 2c, YMMV.
+993. I think your solution is quite creative, but you usually only get 1 chance if it fails. It really makes sense to get an engineered stand that fits the car.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Question

Thanks all for the feedback. I see the point of a possible crack - that does concern me. So, let's assume the puck fails (cracks and breaks). What would happen? My biggest concern would be a sideways slippage, followed by a downward slip, repositioning of the jack stands off the jack point and YIKES!

What do you all think about putting the solid aluminum style jack pads on the top of the "V" instead of the hockey pucks? I could even cut slots into those and bolt them onto the stands. There would still be the issue of the center not being supported but the whole thing would be stronger.

Also, with the ESCO and AC Hydl. stands what is to stop horizontal slippage? Like in an earthquake?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:11 PM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the pucks on the jack stands (ratchet type) and they work great. However, this whole dialogue was terrific!! I think I'm going to secure the puck with the countersunk screw/bolt idea--shoud make it more solid.

You guys are great--thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kbc993: PM attempted, you too jpoint. I need contact info and pictures, pls.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hockey pucks are amazing little things. The rubber is very dense, and machines beautifully. I have made all sorts of things out of hockey pucks: suspension bushings, vibration dampers for surface-mount assemblies, etc.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I posted this a few years ago on the 964 forum, works like a charm, and very inexpensive.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nd#post5483664
Old 03-22-2010, 05:21 PM
rc1320
Instructor

Go buy the real thing, they come in handy! Check out my flat top stands in action this past weekend.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

crg53! WOW! What a great job you did. I may have to go to welding school just so I can make those!

Quick Reply: Check out my $50 Custom AC Hyd. JK Stands!