Sponsored by:

Just ordered my CDR 220 Becker with Ipod cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 PM
TURBO-951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered my CDR 220 Becker with Ipod cable

I just ordered my new Head unit from Becker and found them extremely helpful. Just gave them my info and I should have it shipped to my door in a week or so. $600 plus shipping. I am certain there's better performing head units, but I wanted to retain the OEM look. I also ordered FOCAL speaker set to replace the stock ones. Has anyone installed them ?? ( Polyglass 130VRS )
http://www.focal-america.com/

Thoughts ?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Should be good to go. Did you order the modded face plate?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a definite improvement over the 210; you should be happy with the upgrade. Remember to remove the cage that holds the 210, you won't need it anymore with the 220.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 AM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

yeah I have the cdr 220, amp under the passenger seat, pod if and focals front speakers and the Rod Birch subs in the rear footwell. It rocks but nothing like the sound of the car as you run her thru the gears.

Last edited by jlb_94611; 03-17-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo-951,

Sounds like you are well on your way to a great set-up. I have the CDR 220 with iPod cable and I'm interested in knowing more about Focal's.

Can I plug and play the 130VRS speakers without changing the factory door speaker covers/grills?

What about that Focal crossover box? Do I need to use it? I have the factory Hi-Fi option. Will I really hear any difference without changing an amp?

Sorry I'm not an audiofile, but this speaker upgrade has my interest.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I suggest a good amp to power those Focals. The CDR-220 doesn't really have the power to do them justice.

If you are running the iPod thorough the aux input, the head unit won't much matter, as it becomes a gatekeeper at that point.

I also have a CDR-220. as long as your music is recorded in AAC at the highest sample rate, it will sound pretty good. The CD and tuner aren't bad, though with weak radio stations, sound will suffer.

I rarely listen to CDs anymore since my iPod has everything on it anyway and when I listen to the radio, it usually is for news updates, traffic, or sports, so sound quality isn't much of a factor.

Mark: absolutely use the crossover that comes with the component set, it filters the proper frequencies to go with each component speaker, without it, all the speakers will be playing full range.

Better speakers WILL make a difference, however, there is never a single answer, as everyone has different musical tastes and likes. While MANY like Focals, everyone should listen to speakers playing their favorite music to see what THEY like the best.

I assume you are referring to the stock Nokia amp in your question. Without a doubt, you will hear a difference by changing the amp. More power will most likely sound better, particularly low frequencies, they simply require more power to move the speakers.

Stereo systems can be a bit like suspension or motor upgrades, they can get addicting, and can also get expensive. My advice is always, set a budget and then select components within that budget. Nearly everything will be an upgrade over the factory system, and by now, the factory speakers are probably all dried out and the baffles damaged.

fortunately you CAN purchase stereo equipment like baloney, in slices, so you can upgrade speakers now, the head unit next month, then the amp next year. you will pay for 3 separate installations unless you do it yourself, but it can be done.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 AM
TURBO-951
Racer

Originally Posted by Kika
I suggest a good amp to power those Focals. The CDR-220 doesn't really have the power to do them justice.

If you are running the iPod thorough the aux input, the head unit won't much matter, as it becomes a gatekeeper at that point.

I also have a CDR-220. as long as your music is recorded in AAC at the highest sample rate, it will sound pretty good. The CD and tuner aren't bad, though with weak radio stations, sound will suffer.

I rarely listen to CDs anymore since my iPod has everything on it anyway and when I listen to the radio, it usually is for news updates, traffic, or sports, so sound quality isn't much of a factor.

Mark: absolutely use the crossover that comes with the component set, it filters the proper frequencies to go with each component speaker, without it, all the speakers will be playing full range.

Better speakers WILL make a difference, however, there is never a single answer, as everyone has different musical tastes and likes. While MANY like Focals, everyone should listen to speakers playing their favorite music to see what THEY like the best.

I assume you are referring to the stock Nokia amp in your question. Without a doubt, you will hear a difference by changing the amp. More power will most likely sound better, particularly low frequencies, they simply require more power to move the speakers.

Stereo systems can be a bit like suspension or motor upgrades, they can get addicting, and can also get expensive. My advice is always, set a budget and then select components within that budget. Nearly everything will be an upgrade over the factory system, and by now, the factory speakers are probably all dried out and the baffles damaged.

fortunately you CAN purchase stereo equipment like baloney, in slices, so you can upgrade speakers now, the head unit next month, then the amp next year. you will pay for 3 separate installations unless you do it yourself, but it can be done.

Good luck.
Well said Kika ! You are absolutely correct. I plan on using my I pod mainly so upgrading my head unit is really not necessary, but I like the AUX feature the CDR 220 has. I also wanted an OEM plug and play unit. I went with the Focal Solid 4 channel since I heard this set up in a friends 993 and was impressed with the warmth and clarity (without modifying doors and speaker sizes).

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but appreciate good sound. These cars were never designed with a great sound system, even with HI FI. Adding quality components makes the drive just that much sweeter !

BTW: Optioned for the revised face plate. Well worth the extra $$
Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 AM
TURBO-951
Racer

[QUOTE=Mark Harris;7398029]Turbo-951,

Can I plug and play the 130VRS speakers without changing the factory door speaker covers/grills?
Yes I believe so
What about that Focal crossover box? Do I need to use it? I have the factory Hi-Fi option. Will I really hear any difference without changing an amp?

^^^^^ Exactly what Kika said ^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Just ordered my CDR 220 Becker with Ipod cable