Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lower dash removal related question post search

Ok, so glad I did a search first.

Looks like in addition to mystery bolts behind the ash tray and end caps, there are fasteners behind the CCU and the stereo.

I have an aftermarket stereo and I'm not really sure how to get it out. CCU seems easy enough with the right tool, which I'm guessing I can find on ebay.

Q is...is there a way to get the lower dash off without removing the stereo head unit? I haven't dug into it yet to see first hand...trying for a little recon...
Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Ok, so glad I did a search first.

Looks like in addition to mystery bolts behind the ash tray and end caps, there are fasteners behind the CCU and the stereo.

I have an aftermarket stereo and I'm not really sure how to get it out. CCU seems easy enough with the right tool, which I'm guessing I can find on ebay.

Q is...is there a way to get the lower dash off without removing the stereo head unit? I haven't dug into it yet to see first hand...trying for a little recon...
not unless you have unusually small and flexible hands, there just isn't any room from the bottom
Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Then any tips on removing an after market deck? And do I need the special U tool for the CCU removal or does something else work nicely as well?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Then any tips on removing an after market deck? And do I need the special U tool for the CCU removal or does something else work nicely as well?
I always just stick unused rivets in the holes and push from the backside once the radio is out.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
On mine the trim pried off w/ a flat screwdriver, the radio itself had a small latch in 2 corners, it helped to have the radio owners manual.

If you don't have the paper manual try going on line, most of that kind of thing is generally available at the manufacturer's website

Quick Reply: Lower dash removal related question post search