Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

9m Panelcraft: 993 water leak warning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a good reminder of what to look for in a Rennfax or PPI. No longer do I feel foolish for passing up an otherwise great car that had those few bubbles. Picked this little item up in one of those what to look for Porsche guides and from some fellow Rennlisters and P-Car nuts like Sloan.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 AM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
What about Bruce7's diy. After watching your install, obviously it would help but do you think there are still pockets that could collect water?
I believe that his DIY is based more or less on the procedure shown in a Porsche technical bulletin as well as in the 993 repair manual. I think the big concern is with filling the space between the windshield and the frame is how difficult it might make removing the windshield for any subsequent replacement. I recently had my windshield replaced including repairing the rust they found when the old one was removed and am still trying to decide if I want to follow Bruce7's DIY or not.

GC
Old 06-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I had rust under the front screen repaired back in 2003 under the 10 year anti-corrosion warranty when I had the car in the UK. Like Neil Young says, Rust never sleeps. It's back and having the only 993 in town it's going to be a nightmare finding someone who can do the job properly, especially fitting a new screen. I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 993/907
+1 from me too.
My 95 has some of this showing at the sill of the original windscreen.

Gordo
Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I saw this and inspected my car very closely yesterday. Found a small (pencil eraser sized) bubble in the paint on the lower rear window corner ...
Original glass.
Wow .. well, that's enough evidence for me. I just read Bruce7's DIY, very impressive .. and it does look like that would eliminate the problem, the only snag being the difficulty in removing/replacing the windshield the next time. When I had my '95 coupe repaired, the bodyshop scored and broke the windshield on purpose to remove it so the could pry it out in two sections .. that may be the way to do it.

Quick Reply: 9m Panelcraft: 993 water leak warning!