Sponsored by:

9m Panelcraft: 993 water leak warning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
I gently pull up the seal of each corner and use a wet/dry vac rather than compressed air. Didn't want to push the water any further into crevices. I wonder what the long term effects of filling the corner void would be, as previously mentioned with silicone? Wonder is doing something like this might actually make things worse by providing a moisture trap.
Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
This entire issue would be a non issue if there were weep holes for any moisture to drain instead of being trapped behind.
Gotta ask. Will driving after washing remove the water?

Anyone tried adding weep holes?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Please take heed of this advise:

Do not put silicone sealant anywhere near the bodywork of your 993!!!!!

Silicone sealant contains acetic acid which gives it that vinegar smell, when it cures the acid leeches out and attacks the steel of the body. If you must apply sealant to a windscreen use windscreen seal or PU (polyurethane) adhesive only.
Thanks Colin. Is there a paint friendly filler worth putting in this area, or would it just cause the moisture to accumulate else where or create other issues?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 AM
IainM
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 244 Posts

I'm worried about this too and think I may put this ahead of a steering rack and subsequent front suspension overhaul.

I'm a wash an chamois guy and have noticed the water retention in the windscreen corners. I've been wicking the water out by pushing an microfiber cloth into the cavity behind the rubber surround.

I tried to replace the rubber surround but it had been gooped in with some kind of sticky black mastic. I got pictures:

I think the problem is incorrect windscreen replacement. The old windscreen is cut out and the paintwork in the window sill is compromised. Mine has obviously been worked on to fix the squeaky windscreen (failed attempt) and is still retaining water in the corners.

Based on this thread, and even though I live in California, I think I need to sort this out immediately. Wouldn't you?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Luftd993
Instructor

I have been using PU sealnt/adheasive extensively in house renovation (gap filling, bonding oak timber to masonry etc) it does not give up like silicone and is a real nightmare to remove. It is so good that silicone is redundant for me.
I would not want to use any sealer that would give a screen installer a tough time.
Have I ever mentioned that my car has only seen water twice in 7 years?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
I think the problem is incorrect windscreen replacement. The old windscreen is cut out and the paintwork in the window sill is compromised. Mine has obviously been worked on to fix the squeaky windscreen (failed attempt) and is still retaining water in the corners.

Based on this thread, and even though I live in California, I think I need to sort this out immediately. Wouldn't you?
I would. I think incorrect windscreen replacement including scoring the paint with a knife certainly contributer, but owners has posted this issue with original windscreen so really it's anybody. Washaholics especially.

Originally Posted by Luftd993
I have been using PU sealnt/adheasive extensively in house renovation (gap filling, bonding oak timber to masonry etc) it does not give up like silicone and is a real nightmare to remove. It is so good that silicone is redundant for me.
I would not want to use any sealer that would give a screen installer a tough time.
Twice in 7 years?!? I take it the means rain, right? Theres no way she escaped the hose for that long has she???
Old 05-30-2013, 01:46 PM
993/907
Pro

Originally Posted by sonny1
This is not neccesary a case of bad windshield fitting, I have seen this in original cars without prior work done on them, I have noticed that water collects under the seal lip,and it does not have a way to evacuate from there and uppon time this happens, my suggestion is to blow dry after a wash all this stuborn spots.cheers.
+1 from me too.
My 95 has some of this showing at the sill of the original windscreen.

Gordo
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my windshield replaced yesterday by a 3rd generation master windshield tech. I got super lucky having only the smallest spot of rust on the passenger side lower corner. We sanded it and reprimed it and I am hoping it will be okay. My car hadn't been washed or wet in 2 weeks yet both corners had substantial water in them when we yanked the windshield. This is the 3rd windshield in this 42k garage queen. I think the design simply sucks. There is no way to effectively remove the water without compromising the gaskets.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You mean to tell me there are no drain holes under the rubber? Seems almost unconscionable

3 year old thread resurrected. WOW.
Ignorance is bliss...I wasn't here 3 yrs ago - Pelican for the 80's P-cars
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Luftd993
Instructor

Originally Posted by JB 911
I would. I think incorrect windscreen replacement including scoring the paint with a knife certainly contributer, but owners has posted this issue with original windscreen so really it's anybody. Washaholics especially.

Twice in 7 years?!? I take it the means rain, right? Theres no way she escaped the hose for that long has she???
Got caught out in a light shower once and washed it once.
A friend does the yearly inspection and does not bother checking the screen washer. Phew!
I clean it dry. I spent a week when I bought the car getting rid of swirl marks with a rotary polisher and elbow grease. It is black metallic so more care is needed when cleaning as all imperfections will hit you in the face.
I’m not obsessed with keeping it dry now that I’ve done a temporary fix to the small amount of corrosion on the windscreen lower corners (original Siglar screen), renovated everything underneath and used loads of ACF-50 corrosion block. Since moving house four years ago I have hardly used the car so it does not get dirty.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 227 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Luftd993
You live in the UK? Twice in 7 years? Mine sees water twice in 7 hours!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:13 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JMR
I just had my windshield replaced yesterday by a 3rd generation master windshield tech. I got super lucky having only the smallest spot of rust on the passenger side lower corner. We sanded it and reprimed it and I am hoping it will be okay. My car hadn't been washed or wet in 2 weeks yet both corners had substantial water in them when we yanked the windshield. This is the 3rd windshield in this 42k garage queen. I think the design simply sucks. There is no way to effectively remove the water without compromising the gaskets.
JMR, you mention that it had substantial water in there despite not being washed or wet for the 2 weeks prior.

I am very curious. At the time of washing, did you do any of the get water out techniques or did you just let it be? And if you did a technique, what did you do.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has been repaired twice at the front for this. First by the PO, and again by me. I went with a shop that's been around for decades and guarantees their work for life and I don't give it any thought at all anymore. If I didn't drive in the rain I wouldn't have nearly as many miles (and subsequently, smiles.)

When I got the car and had the (second) repair done it had spent all it's life except for the previous year or so in the East Bay, CA. Pretty much an ideal climate for avoiding this sort of thing...
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I saw this and inspected my car very closely yesterday. Found a small (pencil eraser sized) bubble in the paint on the lower rear window corner. Pulled back the rubber and yep, rust evident. Went by my body guy and he said $500 more or less. Scheduled her in for the procedure while I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks.
Original glass.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
JMR, you mention that it had substantial water in there despite not being washed or wet for the 2 weeks prior.

I am very curious. At the time of washing, did you do any of the get water out techniques or did you just let it be? And if you did a technique, what did you do.
The answer is that I did not. However, after just watching the whole install process, the location and amount of the water, and how the outside gasket fits into the slot, I just don't believe that all the water can be removed without yanking the gasket. Some of it certainly, but there is no way that all of it can.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JMR
The answer is that I did not. However, after just watching the whole install process, the location and amount of the water, and how the outside gasket fits into the slot, I just don't believe that all the water can be removed without yanking the gasket. Some of it certainly, but there is no way that all of it can.
Wow. That is discouraging. What a crap design.

Not a washoholic, but I think I decided a new way to wash my car which includes not hosing the windshield.

What about Bruce7's diy. After watching your install, obviously it would help but do you think there are still pockets that could collect water?

Quick Reply: 9m Panelcraft: 993 water leak warning!