993 Forum 1995-1998

Sumitomo tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
I have a set of Sumitomo HTR Z II as street tires for my 993, and they are horrible !!! I did an auto cross last fall with the Sumi's on, and the car understeered worse than an old front wheel drive V8 Oldsmobile Toronado (even with 2.5 deg neg. camber). Also straight line braking is horrible.

I guess the Sumi's are OK if you drive to/from the grocery store, but for spirited driving they are not. The only advantage of the Sumi's is the price, they are dirt cheap. So I guess you get what you pay for.

I have had other various tires on my 993, Bridgestone RA050 Pole Pos, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, and now Toyo R888 (the two latter R-compound), the difference between all those and the Sumi's is astronomical (booth in performance and price...). The Sumitomo HTR Z III must be vastly better than the HTR Z II to be worth considering.
This seems to come up whenever Sumitomos are mentioned. There are truly massive differences between the IIs and IIIs IMHO. I've tried both on cars with similar setup and on the same day. Big change.

Maybe they should have called them something else.

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Perhaps more threads should be stickied around here.

Anyway, I love mine. About 7K miles so far, I just had them rotated for the second time yesterday. Even wear (not sure exactly how much, but I think it was minimal) and more than enough grip for my purposes.

+1.

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I run the Sumo HTRZ IIIs. Honestly, for the money they are hard to beat. Especially if you factor in the the rate at which these cars chew up rear tires.

If you are looking for all out street tire performance (stick, noise, wet) and are NOT considering the $$$$$, the best tire is the Michelin PS2.

Just my $.02
Bob, you think like I do. Are the PS2s better? Perhaps a bit right at the limit. Do you regularly drive at the limit on the street? Probably not. Do 993s eat rear tires? Hell yes!

Originally Posted by x50type
Agree completely with Avid Fan.
And If i see anymore questions about oil, I'll.........................
Mobil 1 any good?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,804 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejam
RTFM is offensive. The "F" says it all.
Firstly, it wasn't directed at you so what business it is of yours? That's right, none. Secondly, if you, in your sole stand, have such an issue with it, take it up with John. That icon has been around on this board longer than you and I have and nobody else seems to mind it but hey, break new ground.

I haven't "contributed" in a while because, well, it's winter and I have a life and other hobbies besides my love of Porsches.
You should read before you respond, that way you can sound intelligent. I was referring to you logging on yesterday afternoon. But thanks for asserting your relevance in your universe. BTW, how are those "big payments" on your $25k 993 coming along?

Actually, my last post (yesterday) was of a gorgeous red custom Porsche on Craigslist that may be right up your alley.
I'm not the one driving a 911 with chrome wheelz and tinted windows. I'm the one quoting Dr. Porsche on how not to do that to a 911. Why this would even enter into the argument is beyond me but I guess you're reaching really hard to be offensive?

I see you are located in the Great Northwest. Perhaps we can discuss our differences over a cold micro someday ;-)
Are you a child? Wait, actually, I'll play along. "Sure Jody, make the 6hr trek to Vancouver. I'll show you some hockey hospitality and then direct you to a short peer where you can go for an nice long walk."

You complained because it takes up your time and forum space, yet you keep comiong back to this thread. Why? Because you apperently live on here.
What I do with my time or how often I visit here is none of your business. As for this thread, I'm only here to reply to your diatribe and hubris, however, this is my last post here as my limit for arguing with you has been reached. Feel welcome to have the last word and continue digging your own hole.

Originally Posted by MrBonus
If there isn't a recycling or rehashing of ideas on this (or any) forum, there would be little to nothing to discuss. It's not like every facet of ownership from maintenance to wear items hasn't been discussed ad nauseum since production ended on these cars 12 years ago.
No one is taking issue with rehashing ideas or old topics. The issue is the aversion by some to use the search feature before they post. It's just plain laziness. The OP could have had his answer in kind or could have continued the discussion on one of the other 100 threads in which this topic has been discussed.

Originally Posted by x50type
And If i see anymore questions about oil, I'll.........................
Lol.

Peace out everybody.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Louis, we need to have a beer my friend.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,804 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Louis, we need to have a beer my friend.
Name the time and place Timmy. I may be meeting with Hans later today.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:08 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just came over from the 964 forum, I think I will head right back.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so sorry for pissing you off, Louie. I really am. Will you ever forgive me? I'm sure you'll like me once you get to know me.
You've succeeded in insulting my intelligence and my taste in the radical changes I've done to my cheap 993. Yes, the payments are killing me! You found me out. I am really just a poor blue collar laborer trying to be like you.
Oh, and can I still ski your big beautiful mountains in Canada, even though they're so far away?
Look at that...now I'm acting like you.

To the OP: Go for the Sumi III's. Great tires for us poor folk.

Sorry everyone, I promise I'm done with this guy. I'll be good :-)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

OK both of you give it a rest. Please.

Now, can I mix Brad Penn and Mobil 1 together with my own homemade ZDDP hooch?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Only if your engine tray is on.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yes you can, but for drinking only, not for use in the 993.....

The updates on the Sumi's is very interesting, it is always good to hear from people that now hae a few miles on them. I am looking at getting a set for my dd.... Keep the updates coming.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very happy with my Sumis. Enough that I will be running them on my 993 and 968 for the forseeable future. I do plan to get some track tires for my factory Cups this year. If it lends any credibility to my opinion, I am an engineer/Black Belt at a tire factory and have studied one of my Sumis that met an untimely death once.

Some of these arguments seem a bit childish and out of hand.

I like bacon.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeze
This thread has multiple pages of opinions. Convinced me to try them, so far happy after about 2 weeks

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-any-good.html
+1.

Very happy on the street. Track test in early April.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

Bob, you think like I do. Are the PS2s better? Perhaps a bit right at the limit. Do you regularly drive at the limit on the street? Probably not. Do 993s eat rear tires? Hell yes!
Tim, I actually think the PS2s are a better tire in every way except the wallet.

But I'm cheap so 0.90 x PS2 has to be acceptable.

Spring is in the air here in CO

Bob-
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Bob, I agree with you.
I've run Michelin pilot sport "ribs" & PS2. Nothing comes close but at almost $400 per tire that gets tiresome quick. I have Hanook Ventus Evo's (owned by Michelin) & SUMIS III. On the street they are more than capable for less than half the cost.

I'll stick with those two brands anyday.

Rich
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In case anybody has been considering these, how about a $50 rebate on a set of four!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
In case anybody has been considering these, how about a $50 rebate on a set of four!
I'm in for 4 ... thanks !

Quick Reply: Sumitomo tires