993 Forum 1995-1998

Almost OEM parts from Pelican

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:06 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost OEM parts from Pelican

Anyone have experience in parts that are claimed to be Porsche OEM, but subtly different beyond just the box they come in and not having a Porsche logo?

I'm looking at 30k items.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

FD Motorsports
Old 03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not looking for a source; just wondering if these parts will work as well, as they have subtle differences.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,.....

We are VERY particular about what parts we use since many "OEM" parts are of inferior quality and do not last. Further, there are now many so-called "OEM" components made in Asia that are simply junk; some of these are knock-off's of Porsche factory parts and carry the trademark.

There are no hard & fast rules here, one needs to know what you are looking at and that takes experience. Depending on what it is, the aftermarket can serve very well but in certain cases, we go to the dealer.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the OEM parts pelican sells are from the Manufacturer that made the parts when the car was produced. They might not come in a Porsche Box or say Porsche but that is only because they no longer supply them to Porsche.
When the cars where made there was alot of demand so more then 1 company produced the parts, Read there listings of the parts you are interested in most of them say if they were a manufacturer at the time or not.

Just because you buy from the dealer doesent mean you are getting the best quality part. (However you are paying the biggest $$$)
Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Just because you buy from the dealer doesent mean you are getting the best quality part. (However you are paying the biggest $$$)
I'd kindly disagree,.......

While I certainly cannot argue the price aspect of your statement, dealer-sourced parts are, in the vast majority of cases, higher quality than its aftermarket equivalent and in many situations, a critical consideration.

Porsche's QC checks are FAR better than what the OEM does and in a few cases, you can actually see what they do.

Like anything else in life, you get what you pay for,...
Old 03-07-2010, 05:16 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Steve - how about CV boots? OEM Porsche or Loebo aftermarket which is the manufacturer of the OEM
Old 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I'd kindly disagree,.......

While I certainly cannot argue the price aspect of your statement, dealer-sourced parts are, in the vast majority of cases, higher quality than its aftermarket equivalent and in many situations, a critical consideration.

Porsche's QC checks are FAR better than what the OEM does and in a few cases, you can actually see what they do.

Like anything else in life, you get what you pay for,...
Do you use Porsche valve guides? Shocks?

Also, I note there always seems to be confusion around OEM. That m is for manufacture, which means is could be marked Bosch or Continental and be very much OEM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Calvin,

One critical part that comes to mind is the Turbo's oil filters. Anything but strickly OEM (in Porsche box) causes leaks that could ruin your turbos. I don't take any chances.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by bart1
Do you use Porsche valve guides? Shocks?

Also, I note there always seems to be confusion around OEM. That m is for manufacture, which means is could be marked Bosch or Continental and be very much OEM.
Hi Bart,

I've not used Porsche factory guides since 1979 when we began making our own.

Factory shocks were OK until 1990 when Porsche stopped using Bilstein as the Sport shock option. We don't use OEM Boge or Monroe's on anything due to longevity concerns.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
Calvin,

One critical part that comes to mind is the Turbo's oil filters. Anything but strickly OEM (in Porsche box) causes leaks that could ruin your turbos. I don't take any chances.
I have a Porsche parts business and we sell only OEM parts. There is a lot of confusion out there about OEM/OES/OEM "equivalent" etc. The biggest rip-off out there in my opinion is the "OEM equivalent" or "OEM specs" that are advertised most of the time on eBay etc. Those are the parts that will usually fail earlier. We stick with quality OEM parts (Porsche) or vendors that Porsche uses. Overall I never sell any parts that are not manufactured in Germany or somewhere in Europe (Austria, Spain, etc).
By the way I'm very familiar with the issue you mentioned with the Turbo oil filters leaking. That was a bad batch of Mahle or Mann (forget which one) that made it to the US, but the issue has been fixed now 100% unless there are a few bad units left out there in inventory.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Steve - how about CV boots? OEM Porsche or Loebo aftermarket which is the manufacturer of the OEM
Loebro aftermarket is just as good as factory-sourced Loebro ones.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:05 PM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Bart,

I've not used Porsche factory guides since 1979 when we began making our own.

Factory shocks were OK until 1990 when Porsche stopped using Bilstein as the Sport shock option. We don't use OEM Boge or Monroe's on anything due to longevity concerns.
Yup. Point is, just because is says Porsche and you pay a good bit, doesn't make it the best - even on the two critical parts I mentioned.

IMO, you have to evaluate each part independently via experienced opinions of experts such as yourself.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
Yup. Point is, just because is says Porsche and you pay a good bit, doesn't make it the best - even on the two critical parts I mentioned.

IMO, you have to evaluate each part independently via experienced opinions of experts such as yourself.
Yes that is what I meant. I dont mean go and buy the cheapest you can find. I just meant Original doesent always mean its the best.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Interesting discussion...

It very much depends on the specific part and manufacturer in question.

Axeman, that issue with the Mahle filters on the turbo has raised it's ugly head recently. I suppose there could be old inventory still out there.
Are you aware of a design change in the Mahle filter? Just wondering where your info came from... I'd love to not have to worry about using ONLY the Porsche filter on 993 turbos.

Quick Reply: Almost OEM parts from Pelican